Converting a ringfield 6 to dcc

Felix19

I want to convert a coronation class city of Nottingham to dcc using a spare gaugemaster 8 pin decoder. There is only one wire on the ringfield 6 running from the right hand brush retaining arm in the tender to the brass engine connected pin. Most guides seem to mention 2 wires, red and black so am confused. Any pointers would be gratefully received

If you go to the top of this page, you will see a tab called 'Help & Advice'. From there you will find a drop down summary; select 'Hornby DCC Guide'. On that page go to 'Decoder Installation Guides' where, hopefully, the Tender Drive Flying Scotsman conversion may help, as it's pretty indicative of other tender drive locos. If I've misunderstood your question, I apologise, but the many experts on here will be able to help, I'm sure.  

With only one wire present, there is a strong chance that the left hand motor brush holder is connected to chassis via the screw holding it, and one side of the motor also.  Hence no need for a wire.

Attempting to install a decoder while this connection remains will destroy the decoder.

How do you confirm if this is the case?  Using a multimeter on Ohms range, test for continuity between LH motor brush holder and chassis.

How do you fix it?  You either use an insulated sleeve in the screw or replace the metal screw with a nylon one.

Where can you get more complete information?  Google Brian Lambert and check out his conversions for the 3 different Ringfield types on his DCC pages.  You can also check out his posts on it here - his user name is Flashbang (apt in this topic if you don't get it right).  You will also find user Margate-Richmond is expert in this area and has also fully covered these conversions previously, probably including excellent pictures of his professional handiwork.