Point Motor Newbie [GM PM10D motors]

Guest Chrissaf

The PM10D is a digital DCC point motor so it CANNOT be used with a CDU. Is your layout DCC controlled as you have NOT posted in the DCC forum.

What controller are you using, and if it is a Select, what firmware is it running?

The PM20D is also digital DCC, but both the 10 and 20 models can also be used with DC. Which rather makes them an expensive solution for DC use.

But to reiterate, even if used with DC control, neither model can be used with an external CDU.

PS If using DC operation, what power supply are you using to power the PM10D (you do not connect the motor to the track as shown in the diagrams when using them on a DC layout).

The GM recommendation is a DC power supply that is between 15 and 21 volts at a current of 2 amps. Does your supply meet that criteria?

The PM20 without the D is a basic surface mounted GM point motor, so that motor would benefit from being used with a GM CDU.

The PM10D is a digital DCC point motor so it CANNOT be used with a CDU. Is your layout DCC controlled as you have NOT posted in the DCC forum.

What controller are you using, and if it is a Select, what firmware is it running?

The PM20D is also digital DCC, but both the 10 and 20 models can also be used with DC. Which rather makes them an expensive solution for DC use.

But to reiterate, even if used with DC control, neither model can be used with an external CDU.

Hi

Sorry, I wasn't aware that this was not a DCC forum, only signed up today.  I am operating DCC, but I am not going to use my controller to control the points, I want to use traditional switches

Regards

Wayne

Hello!

I am a new modeller, about a month in...  I have my baseboard and track laid, wired in and functioning! now working on the points.  I purchased a GMC PM10D, but simply cannot get it to work.  I have followed every diagram, even followed a YouTube film step by step....  I think it might be malfunctioning... anyway, I have decided to move to the PM 20 surface mounted point motor, it seem less bulky and fits my layout design better.  The question I have is do I need a GM CDU Capacitor discharge unit, or can I wire a toggle switch, to the motor direct?

Thank you in advance for any advice given

Regards

Wayne

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Note that the GM instructions state that using the wrong electrical switch type will damage the PM10D. The switches MUST either be non locking press button type OR momentary action toggles with sprung to centre off positions.

Please answer the previous question I asked regarding controller being used to provide the DCC power.

....but I am not going to use my controller to control the points, I want to use traditional switches.

The GM PM10D allows both types of operation. Operating by DCC Controller and also operating by manual 'switches or buttons' (but they do have to be the right kind of switch)......thus best of both worlds.

Earlier this week I helped a forum member who had previously been using GM PM10D motors with a Hornby Select controller transfer their operation to Hornby RailMaster / elink controller. So the GM PM10D point motors definitely work with Hornby controllers. So either you have a faulty PM10D, or you have damaged it by using the wrong switch type or you are doing something wrong.

If you have been following a YouTube video as you say, then you need to post a link to that same video so the information contained within it can be reviewed and assessed.