Hawksworth tank engine

Charliebrown

It was high on the 2019 "Wish List Poll" 

No of votes

393 USATC S-160 2-8-0 (WWII)

391 GWR Manor 4-6-0 (7800-7829)

374 BR Standard Class 2 2-6-0 (78000-78064)

362 WD Austerity 8F 2-10-0 (90750-90774)

353 SR U 2-6-0 (31610-31639, 31790-31809)

328 SR Q 0-6-0 (30530-30549)

299 BR Standard Class 3 2-6-0 (77000-77019)

298 GWR Hawksworth 15xx 0-6-0PT (1500-1509)

Coming in at position 8.

Of course it may not be Hornby who takes up the challenge, they have announced the BR 2MT 2-6-0 which was at position 3. Dapol have announced the Manor at position 2. Bachmann haven't announced anything really new so far, but it is something that they might consider.

• 3 weeks later...

Hawksworth GWR 15xx Class, 0-6-0PT Nos: 1500-1509. 

Only problem with the Hawkesworth 15xx is that the locomotives had a short life, there were only 10 of them, and they were actually intended as a 24hr heavy shunter for hauling coaching stock to and from Paddington to Old Oak Common carriage sidings, not a very varied existence !

They were introduced between June & September 1949, and the last was withdrawn in November 1963. Nos:1500-1506 were allocated from new to Old Oak Common (81A), with Nos:1507-1509 going to Cardiff Canton in South Wales (86A). 1501 spent some time at Southall (81B) marshalling freight trains, where it was withdrawn in 1961. 1502 was at Didcot (81E) from 1958 until withdrawn there also in 1961, where it supposedly spent its life hidden away in the then new CEGB power station.

So the class as a result had a very limited field of operation, and a pretty short life.

The Duke 71000

Although I am not encouraging Hornby to make this particular model,  I should point out that the fact that the class was small and short lived should not be a barrier to being a succesful product.

To quote one example the LNER P2 which was a smaller class (only 6 examples) which lasted a mere 10 years as 2-8-2s, and even then changed in appearance during that period. 

Hornby have succesfully tackled one-offs as well, notably the BR Standard 8P 4-6-2, and are now producing the LNER W1 4-6-4 as well. Even the little Holden 0-4-0T is a one off despite it being a popular model for all manner of ficticious liveries. 

At least one of the 15xx class made it into preservation. A couple became NCB property for a time too.

In my days spotting in London I could guarantee seeing at least one 15xx every time I went to Paddington. 

Although I am not encouraging Hornby to make this particular model,  I should point out that the fact that the class was small and short lived should not be a barrier to being a succesful product.

To quote one example the LNER P2 which was a smaller class (only 6 examples) which lasted a mere 10 years as 2-8-2s, and even then changed in appearance during that period. 

Hornby have succesfully tackled one-offs as well, notably the BR Standard 8P 4-6-2, and are now producing the LNER W1 4-6-4 as well. Even the little Holden 0-4-0T is a one off despite it being a popular model for all manner of ficticious liveries. 

At least one of the 15xx class made it into preservation. A couple became NCB property for a time too.

In my days spotting in London I could guarantee seeing at least one 15xx every time I went to Paddington. 

LC&DR

I certainly didn't mean to imply a model should not be made. I was just pointing out some pertinent limitations about the use of the real locos ! Mainly for the benefit of other readers who may not be as well read as you and I.

As the Severn Valley have the only surviving example in working order, this adds a realistic use for a model working branch line trains. Which is probably more suitable for the average modeller who doesn't have enough space to recreate Paddington station I think you would agree?  

The Duke 71000    

So far as I can tell the 15xx class was divided between Old Oak Common, Southall, Didcot, Newport and Cardiff sheds so remarkably spread out for such a small class. The use in the London area was I thought always a bit odd given that they were a design more at home as dock shunters, very similar in dimensions and appearance to the Southern Region's USA class . 

Like many of the smaller classes their usefulness on a heritage line is also somewhat incongruous, although these were quite powerful machines and their use on Empty Coaching Stock trains in the London area meant they looked more at home on passenger carriages than many.

I did have a 'soft spot' for these hard working  odd little locomotives.