Track cutters

Triumphman

Can you use ordinary side cutters?

No.....most side cutters no matter how tough and sharp they appear, will compress the rail and distort the cut. The Xuron cutters have specially hardened steel and a specific blade cutting profile design that produces a clean cut of the rail.

....they must still distort the track.

They might do if trying to cut steel track, but the Xurons are designed for the softer Nickle Silver rails. If used correctly, there is no distortion at all on the proper cut side of the rail. The waste side of the rail however is heavily distorted. This is a designed in side effect of the way the Xuron cutting blade profile is designed.

Not only that, but there are two versions of the Xuron. One version is designed to cut the rail top to bottom. This would be used where you are cutting rail prior to fitting. The other Xuron type, is desgined to cut rails 'side to side', more useful where cutting rails of already pinned down track. This indicates that the profile of the Xuron cutting blades are very highly designed for the job in hand and the cut edge finish far exceeds the results of using normal 'side cutters'.

I wonder if T.Man was using them to cut older 'steel rails'.

Xuron tools are warranted for life provided they have not been abused. In the case of track cutters, cutting anything that would leave knicks in the blades (like steel wire) would be considered abuse. Contact Xuron and see what they say, they replaced mine which had the same problem as yours, all I had to do was email them a good photo showing the jaws had no knicks or dings. Great folks to work with!