Railroad GWR Railcar

Guest Chrissaf

It sounds as if it is a 'DCC Ready' model.

Also being a 'Railroad' model, also infers that it is 'DCC Ready' and not 'DCC Fitted'. 'DCC Ready' just means that the models have sockets in them ready to accept a decoder.

Double check to make 100% sure that a decoder is fitted. When a box says 'DCC Ready', this does not mean that a decoder is fitted. A model without a decoder will buzz.

Only models that have 'DCC Fitted' or 'DCC On-board' labelled on the packaging actually have factory fitted decoders in them.

If it is indeed buzzing because there is no decoder in it, then do not put it on a DCC track and let it buzz when stationary. This will quickly damage the electric motor.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

I've just taken a brand new GWR no 24 out of its box ( i bought it some time ago from a trade stand at an exhibition) to test and programme it . However when i poput it on the programming track it just buzzed ! Woulkd not respond top the pwer cab at all - i tested another loco onthe same track and it worked fine . Has anyone had a faulty decoder or can suggest what is wrong 

Just to mention that I have other versions of this railcar and fitting a DCC chip could not be simpler.

To remove the body pull out all four buffers, mundo the two body screws just behind each bogie. The body should then lift off. The one thing to watch for is the interior falling out. Then just swap the DCC blanking plate for a decoder.

Initially I use a hornby 8pin decoder but found the bright coloured wires were visible through the parcel door window so swapped it for another manufacturers direct plug decoder. As Chrissaf says do not run it on DCC even using the address 0000 since this will burn out the motor. 

• 1 month later...

hi to you both - Chrissaf you are of course quite correct - the unit is DCC Ready and not fitted - however knowing i had purchased a chip at the same time as the unit i could not understand why it would not work ? Simple answer - i had not fitted the chip - just found it in the carrier bag still in the packaging !!!!  Is this early onset dementure ??? So tomorrow i will fit the chip and try again just hoping i have not dmaged the motor irrepably . Thank you for your analusis