Hornby and Bachmann

MatthewTJ12

Absolutely.

I have more Bachmann models than Hornby ones on my layout and all function fine using my Hornby DCC Controller (Elite in my case).

However, to get the best results using a Select controller, it needs to have a more recent firmware revision installed......I recommend either version 15 or 16. See the paragraph starting "Don't forget...." further below.

When you power up the Select three numbers appear sequentially on the LCD screen.

XX followed by 30 followed by 03

XX is the firmware version. If XX is less than 15 I highly recommend that you get the Select upgraded by Hornby. There is a one off charge of £15 + 20% VAT (£18) for this service plus your sending postage costs. You need to get a 'Returns Number' first from Hornby Customer Services [Tel # in the 'Contact Us' page - see very bottom of this web page].

The current version is version 16 and this will completely transform the user experience of the Select as it adds the ability to write to ALL the CVs. Something the pre 16 versions could not do.

Don't forget, the Hornby controller talks digitally to the DCC decoder fitted in the model, thus the model brand is completely immaterial. Any Bachmann models you purchase either need to be factory fitted with a DCC decoder or fitted with an 'after market' decoder either by yourself or the retailer. Locos marketed as 'DCC Ready' do not have a decoder fitted, only a socket where a decoder can be inserted. Some of the cheaper brand third party decoders have been reported on the forum to have issues with Selects that had the earlier version firmware installed.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/