Low Decoder Sound

Robert Pinch

Hello, I have fitted several Hornby Digital Sound Decoders (HDSD) for different loco types and ech HDSD fitted has very low volume for steam and chuffing sound.  I am using the provided speaker and have rechecked my soldering several times. Has anybody any ideas?

Have you sealed the front of the speaker from the back by way of an enclosure and sealant. is there a path for the sound to escape the vehicle it is mounted in.

If all else fails you can wind the volume up - see the manual for master volume, then tune down any over noisy spot sounds using their specific CVs. The problem is if you wind it up to max (value 8) then you risk damaging the decoder sound amplifier.

Some TTS decoders had their default volume adjusted at the factory because folk were moaning the default was too loud.

Hi RAF96 I may not have been clear. I can get the incidental sounds at a good volume just the steam noise is low.

I have also another problem in that I get sound but no motion, turn up my DT500 and no movement at all! Again checked for clean wheels and track all good,I have manufactured some jumper cables to run DCC at my work bench and will try some experiments, will let you know.

Kind Regards bob

Try turning the loco round on the track, although that uni-directional only response fault applied to both running and programming and you say it accepts an address, so likely not that, but worth the check.

If you let me know the dodgy decoder R number, the loco it is installed in, your controller make and model and firmware revision number and the values seen in decoder CV7 and CV157, I can run it past Hornby for their opinion. They have several other make controllers in hand with which to check in order to try to replicate the fault.

Hello again RAF96, the decoder is R8107 installed in Seagull. I am using a Digitrax DT500 & DB150. I eventually updated the firmware on th DT500, it took a while to sort out the method but got threr in the end, hence the long delay. As far as I can accertain the DT500 firmware is 10oct16, CV7 reads as 0 and there is no cv157 listed for this decoder. Once again I apologise for the delay.

Kind Regards Robert

CV157 should readback with a value. 

Have you tried resetting the decoder sound side only by writing value 5 to CV8. This will set all sounds (spot and master) to default level of 4, whilst leaving the basic decoder side alone.

It may be you have reduced the basic steam level volume but left all others as set.

If your DT5000 can program on the main you can alter any volume levels on the fly so you can immediately hear the changes.

Hell again, I have manged to set CV's 160,161 and 177 to achive a higher volume than before however, this is still not as loud as a factory installed (DCC FITTED) A4 locomotive I have. As regards CV157 I have checked for a value of this CV while the loco is on the track using Programming on Track and no value is readback at all just the three question marks!

Still a bit confused as to why volume is lower perhaps its just the norm for these TTS Decoders?

KInd Regards Robert

You can’t readback using PoM only on a dedicated programming track in service mode i.e direct mode. That is why CV7 is reading 0 when it should be value 048 for Hornby Hobbies.

Some TTS decoders had their default volume adjusted at the factory because folk were moaning the default was too loud.

Apparently my memory was awry here and it was only one particular model (FS) and the change was affected by use of a 100Ω speaker.

You mention soldering so have obviously either hard wired the decoder in (no problem with that unless you need to invoke the warranty, which is invalid if you cut the 8-pin plug off. Replacing the speaker is within bounds) or you have installed a socket.

More questions to come from another member about the actual loco.

I have the loco on my programming track and CV 7 reads 0 and there is definatly not a CV157 and Cv157 is not metioned in the Full CV Table for the Class A4 Sound DEcoder Manual! CV8 reads 48 which is the decoder manufacturer in this case Hornby. The manual says that CV7 is the firmware version of the decoder, my next search will be to see if there is a firmware update. Thanks for all your help and I look forward to further posts between us. I will let you know if I am able to increase the volume to the level of the DCC Fitted loco.

Kind Regards Robert

I have the loco on my programming track and CV 7 reads 0 and there is definatly not a CV157 and Cv157 is not metioned in the Full CV Table for the Class A4 Sound DEcoder Manual! CV8 reads 48 which is the decoder manufacturer in this case Hornby. The manual says that CV7 is the firmware version of the decoder, my next search will be to see if there is a firmware update. Thanks for all your help and I look forward to further posts between us. I will let you know if I am able to increase the volume to the level of the DCC Fitted loco.

Yes sorry - getting my 7s and 8s muddled up.

... any firmware update would be for the basic decoder only, not the sound files side and this would only be done by Hornby if your decoder still has a plug. The decoder id could be any 2 or 3 digit value depending upon its R-number. I don’t have a full list.