R8247 [How many can I connect to an Elite]

Guest Chrissaf

The simple answer is yes.

The long answer is the Elite supports 2,048 DCC Accessory Addresses. Each R8247 uses four addresses. Therefore the theoretical limit is 2,048 divide by 4 = 512 x R8247s.

Of course in reality there is no way the Elite 4 amp power supply can power 512 x R8247s.

About 10 x R8247's is a reasonable typical limit for a 4 amp Elite on its own. Thereafter for each additional 10 x R8247s I would use a R8239 4 amp Booster to power them.

Note however though that the same mathematical calculations won't necessarily apply to every brand of accessory decoder. Each brand will have different power consumption requirements. For example it has been shown in other existing threads on this forum that about 4 or 5 eight port Accessory Decoders made by DCC Concepts is the maximum limit for a Hornby 4 amp DCC supply, due to their very high 'power-up' inrush current consumption. The Hornby R8247 is quite frugal with regard to power consumption by comparison.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

hi all.

i am new to model railway, and i buying bits and pieces before setting up.

but what i need to know can i add two r8247 to a r8214 elite

many thanks..........