Track Metals

Big Alan

I am just about to re-build a layout having had most of it boxed for 6 years.

I seem to have 3 different types of rail.

One looks a bit like brass, although I know it is not, and seems to be clean, I then have two others, both magnetic, so some form of steel, one is discoloured with bits of rust, the other seems to be bright and OK. 

So what track is the best?

I am going to rebuild the layout in the loft which is completely dry, heated, lined and no draughts, so there will not be and damp problems.

I just need to sort out which track to keep and which track needs to go.

Hiya Big Alan

Welcome to the Forum - Brass track??? Never heard of that unless it is from the really old days LC & DR or 1 of the other Forum member might be able to tell you a bit more about that!!! Any way if it is steel - you might be able to get away using it IF it is in still good condition i.e. no rust - cos it doesn't last long if it not properly looked after!!! Modern Track is made from Nickle silver & should last much longer - if it is rusty - shouldn't really use it - though you might get away using it for siding giving your lay-out that old look effect!!! Your loft sound like a good place to that as you said it dry, heated - etc mind you - I've heard from other forum members that over a course of a year the temp in the loft can go up & down - so just be aware of that. I've Just redone a lay-out with a mixture old steel (good condition) track & Modern Nickle silver Track & it works all ok!!! 

Three rail Hornby Dublo track originally had brass running rails with a steel centre conductor rail. At some point the brass was given a coating to give it a 'silver' finish. Hornby Dublo track was close to Code 100 size. The base was tinplated steel printed with representation of ballast and sleepers.  Two rail Hornby Dublo had nickel silver rails.

Triang track originally had steel rail plated to inhibit corrosion, athough this quickly wore away and if kept in damp conditions soon rusted. Early Triang track used a heavy rail section . (Standard/Universal, Series 3 and Super 4). The track was 'modernised' to Series 6 with Code 100 rail but continued to use  plated steel for many years. It is now Nickel Silver.

Other makes including Lima, and Jouef also used Code 100 plated steel rail. Lima also used brass rail at some time, or steel plated with brass.

Formoway made by Graham Farish used nickel silver rail.

The accessory track makers Wrenn and Peco sold their flexible track with plated steel code 100 rail, but also sold de-luxe version with rail made in either brass or nickel silver.

In larger scales aluminium rail has been available from time to time.

Brass tends to have a yellowish sheen, and occasionally nickel silver can look slightly yellow. 

The most reliable test to see if track is steel or not is a test with a magnet. Only steel, or plated steel will attract a magnet. All other materials do not work with a magnet. 

Nickel silver is always going to be the best choice as it resists corrosion and tarnishing. Cleaning with a track rubber will not remove the plating because there isn't any. The only advantage with steel track is if you operate Triang locos with Magnadhesion and have gradients and/or heavy trains.

Hi Big Al. Only use nickel silver track as it's far easier to maintain. I have a substantial layout in my loft and have experienced no problems with heat in the summer and lower temperatures in winter. The main piece of advice I would give you is to use Peco track and points preferably not set track as in my opinion it is far superior in every area. I am just getting close to finishing a complete change of track to Peco and believe me the difference is outstanding. All the best Stu.

Thank you all for your replies.All my track looks fairly modern so I think the track with a slight brass look is nickel silver.I have over 150 Hornby points, crossing etc averaging at about £10 each so I don't think I'll be changing it to Pecco in a hurry. I think that I read about Pecco track on here years ago but by then it was too late as I had areadty invested a small fortune on Hornby track.The layout will be 3.6m square with a area cut out in the middle measuring 2m x 1.52m I also have 2 Velux lights in the roof so heat in the summer shouldn't be a problem.

Provided the loft is both dry and warm you should be OK . Problem with attics is unless they are insulated they can get very cold in winter which encourages condensation, but your original description suggest this will not be a problem for you. Getting into and out of an attic can be tricky unless you have a proper staircase. Otherwise they can make an ideal home for a model railway. Your layout size sounds fine.

Early Jouef track was brass and I have had some other more modern continental track that I got in a job lot that was brass. It may have been Fleishmann? I suspect it's not used much anymore due to cost. I would agree that nickel silver is far superior to steel. If you are buying second hand or NOS track always check what you are getting!