DCC R2792 lights are on but not moving

Auc1706988

Hi,

R2792 (East Midlands 153374) lights are on but wont move. 

I've cleaned the track and the wheel on the engine but can't seem to get it moving, I've tried a battery on wheels and just the lights are working still. I've reset the decoder and still nothing.

Any suggestions ?

Thank you in advance !

Read the value of CV1 and tell us the value obtained. Based upon your post as written, the CV1 value you tell us, will answer a few questions.

Then that means that your controller cannot electrically see your decoder at all.

Which means that writing 8 to CV8 to perform a 'Reset' probably didn't work either.

Given that the loco lights light up, then that would indicate that the pickups and basic wheel to decoder wiring are probably OK.

My deduction given these results is that the decoder is probably damaged and needs replacing. But to really confirm that prognosis, you would need to remove the decoder and test it in a tester such as for example an ESU 53900. An excellent bit of test kit ... I have one ... as does forum ComMod RAF96 (Rob). Although Rob has an earlier version to mine.

PS - Looking at your posting history. Earlier this month you raised posts regarding your Elite controller not working. Was that issue resolved? or is this new issue a continuation of the Elite questions. You never did come back in those other threads and give any resolution feedback as to what happened. Another reason for the XXX CV reading result, could be a faulty 'programming' output on the Elite controller, rather than a faulty decoder.

Note that the ESU 53900 Decoder tester is not a self contained autonomous tester. It still needs a DCC controller attached to it, so if the DCC controller [Elite] is faulty, the ESU 53900 will not give accurate results that can be relied upon.