Stationary buzzing Loco motor

RC4

Hi all. New to this, so as an oap now please bare with me. 

Creating a rectangular layout in loft. Laid a few metres of track and powered it up to test both locos I have. DC controller. Buzzing noise from either loco but they dont travel. Locos' 2nd hand, track is new Hornby oo gauge. Help !

Well if it is buzzing it is definitiely getting power. It may be it is not getting enough. I assume none of the locos you have has a DCC decoder fitted, like ordering a new Hornby loco with sound, but then again the loco wouldn't buzz. I suspect the controller is not giving a full 12 volts, so check that you have wired the track properly, I don't know if your controller "trips out" or current limits, so check the track for short circuits. A good idea may be to get a length of separate track and try each loco on it separately, at least then it rules out anything wrong with your equipment.

Sorry just reread your post, looks like you only have a couple of lengths of track, so the first thing to do is check there is nothing wrong with your controller. Take your loco and touch the two wires from your controller directly on the wheels, one to one side the the other wire to the other side, do the loco wheels spin?

RC4, just so that we can eliminate a number of possible things from the equation Can you please state the Brand and Model of the controller you are using.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

You are right Chrissaf, that would be a good start. I have got an old H & M controller that went legs up, when I opened it up I saw a wire wound potentiometer ( I haven't seen one of those since I did physics at school), which was not working properly, if they have got one of those it would expain a lot.

As Eric says we need a bit more information.Otherwise we are just guessing.

A few questions =

If the controller has AC outputs has the OP connected this to the track in error.

Is the controller a DCC one?

Are the second hand locos in good order, has he tried the PP3 test?

Does the motor turn freely, try spinning it using the pinion? A jammed drive would cause a buzz.