Select controller shows error 11

pottertoncolin

I have just started up a layout and everything has been running grea. I have a 4 radius layout and have 4 trains running most of the time, but every now and then it closes down showing 11 on the screen of my select controller. All the train stop but all the trains make a buzzing sound and some of them move ever so slightly. Has anyone any ideas why this keeps happening. If I disconnect the controller and leave it for a while it comes okay again.

The Select as standard ships with a 1 amp power supply. The Select itself will draw some power, say for example 120mA. This leaves say 880mA for running locos and accessories. Now you haven't said, but if you have some Accessory Decoders connected to your Select to operate points these will draw an idle operating current as well. You may only have about 700mA left for actually running trains. You say four trains are running most of the time. This equates to an average 175mA of current being available per train. This of course assumes that the full 1 amp (1,000mA) is actually available from the power supply before it shuts down in the first place.

This average load is probably pushing the Select power supply into over-load. The 11 you are seeing is not actually an error code. When the Select is powered with the 1 amp supply, it is the power supply that handles 'overload management' and it is the power supply that shuts down and then restarts. This causes the Select to go into a constant 'reboot' cycle until the current load is reduced. The 11 you can see is an indicator that the Select is constantly rebooting.

I highly suggest that you upgrade your Select 1 amp power supply to the official P9300 4 amp upgrade power supply.

The 11 also indicates that you have got an early 1.1 version firmware. This early version is now really old and you could really benefit from having your Select upgraded to version 1.6 firmware. This latest version (at the time of this reply) will totally transform the 'user experience' of the Select. For one thing it will allow you to write to all the CVs and not just a very restricted sub-set of them. It will also give full support for Hornby TTS locos and the full Function range from F1 to F28 and it will also improve reliability when operating a wider range of non Hornby DCC decoders.

The upgrade is a 'return to Hornby' upgrade. The cost is £15 plus VAT (£18) plus your postage costs. You first have to contact Hornby Customer Services to obtain a 'returns number'. The Select version 1.5 manual plus the 1.6 addendum are downloadable from the manuals section of the Hornby.com site. Reading these two documents will detail all the new features that you will benefit from if you get this upgrade done.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

What Chris said about accessory decoders is also important, as Select firmware  v1.1 had a latent bug that could damage Hornby (and possibly other make) accessory decoders. If you have accessory decoders attached to your Select Track then you are advised to disconnect them for now.