DCC Sound Bachmann Loco Humming

Guest Chrissaf

I have placed on the programme track and identified the loco address which I assume confirms a DCC chip is installed.

That might do or it might not .... tell us what your Prodigy infers is your configured DCC Address?

Also you say a 'Sound Decoder' is fitted and it was advertised as such. Do you have any idea what brand of 'sound' decoder is fitted. If this advert is on the Internet, please post a link to it, so that we can review exactly what is being offered. See TIPs below for how to post a link [TIP 13].

Just based upon your observations as described, they would seem to indicate that the loco is only 'DCC Ready' and does not have a decoder 'sound or otherwise' fitted. You say it was purchased 'second-hand' was this from a shop or an individual. It is not unusual for individuals on eBay for example to misrepresent what they are selling or sell locos they know to be faulty.

Although all on the Hornby forum will help if we can ... you say that you're using PECO track, GM Prodigy controller and a Bachmann loco ... without a Hornby product apparently in sight.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Hi. I appreciate the support given that I have not mentioned anything Hornby. All my old kit is Hornby and I am sure I will purchase some soon but just getting back in to the hobby so it's early days for purchases. The decoder shows 0081 when read and the listing below should show the purchase which was made from Rails of SHEFFIELD. 

BACHMANN 'OO' GAUGE 32-733DS EWS CLASS 66 040 DIESEL LOCOMOTIVE DCC SOUND

I can't find 32-733DS listed on the Rails website, but the DS suffix tells me that this loco was originally factory fitted with a Loksound Sound Decoder. So the possibility of it being only 'DCC Ready' is now extremely unlikely. Subject to the previous owner not having removed it.

Being second-hand would infer that it was somebody else's return.

Rails of Sheffield are well known for operating a 'no quibble' Warranty so I strongly advise that you just send it back for repair, exchange or refund whatever is your preferred choice (being second-hand exchange is probably not an option). If the decoder is faulty, the cost of replacing it yourself is not cost effective. A blank Loksound decoder is typically £85 plus the cost of adding the Class 66 soundscape. All my locomotives have Loksound decoders, plus I have some Bachmann xx-xxxDS locos as well.

But first (before getting out the box and wrapping paper), just write 8 to CV8 and this will revert the decoder to the factory default and remove any odd CV settings that the previous owner might have put in it. This will also revert the configured DCC address to a 003 short DCC Address. Starting diagnostics from a 'clean slate' is preferable.

Hi

I recently purchased a used Bachmann Class 66 advertised as DCC Sound fitted. I have placed on brand new Peco track and connected a Guagemaster Prodigy 2 controller. The loco when connected emits a loud humming noise when power is applied to the track and the noise changes tone when acceleration is applied. The locos driving lights and cab illuminate but it fails to move or emit any engine sounds.. I have placed on the programme track and identified the loco address which i assume confirms a dcc chip is installed. It also runs on DC track so not sure what the issue is? Any ideas?

If you want to keep the loco, then first thing is, it might be the speaker, it may be worth changing it. Normally if you blow up the sound, it blows up everything, so it might just be the speaker. If it isn't, then it sounds like decoder is working but the sound is not. I don't know if Loksound do the same as Zimo, but you can return the sound module and for a price (about £30.00) they give you a replacement. I must admit that is one of the reasons when I can't get a TTS decoder for a loco, I buy a Zimo one. I would have thought Rails would have tested it, they seem quite a good organisation.

Colin,

Read the original post again. Ian says the loco doesn't move as well as no sounds.

...but it fails to move or emit any engine sounds...

I did read it, I just saw the bit where it said it accelerates, so I assumed he meant it was moving, but reading it again he was talking about the controller. Then from that the chip is probably dead, I have had that happen with TTS decoders, normally followed 5 minutes later by a burning smell as the bridge rectifier over currents. He also didn't mention if the loco lights turned on with a function, or they were on permanently. From my experience when you fry a module the functions are default to on, as they do when it first powers up (well on an Elite, not on a Fleishman). So do Loksound do a replacement service, like Zimo via YouChoos?  It is a Bachmann class 66, putting sound into one of these should be quite easy, there is even enough headroom room in one of these, to put a Hornby TTS decoder with an 21 to 8 pin converter. If I remember when I did mine, I don't think there is anything for it to short out on unless they didn't put the speaker in the plastic sound enclosure, unless of course it moved during transit.

I wonder if it might be the same fault I had with my Hornby class 66, where the suppression capacitor across the motor went short circuit and took out my TTS decoder. I know this a Bachmann but they have suppression capacitors, it could even be the motor. I got exactly the same fault. Anyway just a thought.