Peckett W4 on DCC

Guest Chrissaf

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

I've recently purchased the new R3680 Peckett W4, and then separately the R7274 decoder.  I ran the train in originally on DC on a rolling road for about 20 mins each way and it was a bit sluggish and needed a bit of power to start but would run at low speed if you slowed it down once it got going. 
I've now added the DCC decoder and it really isn't happy.  It quite often needs a nudge to get it going at all (even on the rolling road), and if you try and change direction the wheels will sometimes do a quarter turn but will always lock up.  
I've switched it backwards and forwards a bit between dc and DCC and think it is a wheel problem in as much as on dc it sits and doesn't start moving then suddenly jolts off when it gets enough power, but on DCC it can't do that as the speed builds slowly so it stays stuck.

Has anyone else had problems with this?