Hornby Hogsmead Station

ColinB

This is an amusing one, does anyone know if Hornby intend to do separate platform pieces for Hogsmead Station in the future. No, I am not into Harry Potter, but it is Goathland staion so I bought it with the miniscule platform it comes with. I also bought the platform kit, again small one straight, with two ramps. I can probably make a longer platform out of MDF, but the pieces that come with the station are really good. Over the years I have accumulated all of the station, Hornby have modelled it all, but I have never seen platform pieces.

I am not sure on that one. I think you will have to contact Hornby Hobbies with this question. You could always purchase another R7238 Hogsmeade Platform Pack again and sell the two ramps, if you don't want anymore.

If you purchase all of the Hogsmeade Station buildings that contains a platorm section and the R7238 Platform Pack, it appears you will get decent length train station. I am not a Harry Potter fan, so I don't know if the Hornby Hogsmeade Station is a realistic length or not.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

I think I worked out you would need at least 3 or more platform packs, to make a decent station, very expensive way to buy a stright platform piece. I cannot think anyone would want the ramps anyway, they only go with the Hogs Mead platform. Perhaps I need to start looking at the platforms that went with the original Skaledale Goathland Station.

I man trying to build Goathland/Hogsmead station and picked up 2 of the platform packs - it's probably enough to complete one platform but I'm not buying any more at that price for platform 2 so will have to use a different way. I may try and detail the basic Hornby platform which would be a lot cheaper. I managed to get hold of the NER goods shed that was in the range a few years ago unused which is at Goathland station. I am not having as much luck with the water tower though which is not in the range anymore. 

I didn't even know there was a water tower. I have got the station, plus the two little buildings, the coal drop, coal ramp and goods shed. The coal ramp was the most difficult, they wanted nearly £100.00 for them on EBay, fortunately Hattons have an EMail service where they mail you if one comes up second hand, so it was a lot cheaper. I did originally start off with the Bachmann small buildings, but a certain firm near Goathland wouldn't sell me the Bachmann station unless I bought the two buildings that go with it although I originally bought the two buildings off them originally. I then found out about the Hornby Skaledale one, which is a much better representation than the Bachmann and they did do all the bits. Surely even a child wants a plaform that is longer than one piece, plus you cannot fit the footbridge on it.

I forgot to mention in my last message about the coal drop. I haven't managed to get hold of that plus the ramp either, so I will give the Hattons email thing a try. Useful information that! The water tower is at the end of the other platform. I wish I just bought all the buildings when they came out originally and only thought about modelling Goathland when the Hogsmead buildings came out last year. I decided to splash out on the platform extensions so at least it made use of the one that comes with the station building. I think with 3 sections It's roughly the correct length with room for the footbridge. will have to see what I can do for platform 2. 

I think it would have been better if the ramp wasn't on the piece that came with the building as it assumes that's the end of the platform which obviously isn't the case. One of the clips will need cutting off to make it line up properly. it's the one area that has let the range down as generally the buildings are pretty well detailed. 

Having checked some pictures of Goathland Station online I have added the platform lamps (R8673) and benches (R8674) to my station which although not advertised as being part of the range look a pretty good match for the ones in the pictures of Goathland Station.

It is funny I was originally going to buy the Bachman one, but it is all wrong, the back especially. Seeing as it is probably modelled by the firm up the road it seems really weird, they do all the other buildings round there and look correct, the Beck Hole pub is a great model. Hornby seem to have done a really good job, I have checked the model with photos of the station and actually looking at it when I was there and it seems correct. If looks like with the plaform I will have to model it myself. I originally bought a broken original Hornby station (chimney pots missing, they always seem to go), but when Hornby released the new one I sold the broken on EBay for what I paid for it and bought the new one. It is a station that oozes character. It is lucky Network Rail didn't run the line in the 80's they would have knocked it down and put a bus shelter in its place like they did to many of Brunel's Great Western Stations.

I am starting to try and make my station fit my layout, I didn't realise Hornby put a curve at the end of the platform, the real station doesn't have it. I originally thought it might have been something they did for Harry Potter and small layouts, then I remembered I bought the buildings that come with the platform ramp from the original Skaledale models. The coal drop looks a bit too high as well. There is quite a height difference between the coal drop entrance and the entrance to the goods shed, I am sure in all the photograps it is not that big At least it has made my mind up, I will build my own platform

• 2 weeks later...

This is more for information that anything else. As you know  I have the Skaledale Hogsmead Station basically Goathland Station. Anyway I have managed to acquire the whole lot, station plus the coal drop. I put it on my layout but the coal drop looks too high plus it means you need a really high ramp to get track in it. So I did some measuring and found the coal drop has to sit about 12mm (1/2 an inch) below the track level. I thought the station sits perfectly with the platform at track level. I could not understand why the back of the station base was not at the same level as the coal drop. After ages studying photos I found that the Skaledale model of the station loses about 12mm between the upper storey and lower storey at the back (look at top right hand window and start of annex roof), which explains why the station sits nicely on the layout, whereas I need to dig a hole for the coal drop. I can easily sort it out but I was just intrigued. I am not complaining about the model, I can see why they did it, it makes it easier in the majority of cases to site the station.