Elite and Select Together?

Guest Chrissaf

I use to have both if you plug the select in to the elite the select becomes a walk around unit I now have a digitrax set up hope this helps.

The Select controller can be used as a third control knob to an Elite. This is termed ' Walkabout Mode'. There are certain limitations using this mode though. The first limitation below being the most onerous one to reflect upon.

Firstly, the Select can only control Locos with DCC Addresses in the 1-59 range and points in the 61 - 99 address range. So if you are using the Elite to control DCC items outside of those ranges, then the Select in 'Walkabout' mode cannot also control them.

Secondly, when using a Select as a 'Walkabout' controller to the Elite. You must not connect the Select to a separate power supply. The Elite is connected to its own power supply (in this case 4 amp) and the Select gets its operating power from the cable that is used to connect the Select to the Elite.

Thirdly, some older or non-updated Hornby documentation is wrong. If you ever see any documentation stating that the Hornby R8236 is used to connect a Select to an Elite as a 'Walkabout' then that documentation is out of date and wrong. The correct 'Walkabout' cable is the R8266. This is a 'round' sheathed cable, whereas the R8236 cable sheath is 'flat'. This is how you tell them apart.

Fourthly, the Select documentation (see below) shows another Select as being the 'Master' controller. The Elite can be a 'Master' too and is the more common configuration.

Fifthly, you must never connect the 'Track' output of the Select to the same track that the Elite is connected to. In 'Walkabout' mode the ONLY connection made to the Select is the R8266 cable and nothing else.

Multiple Selects can be connected to an Elite as 'Walkabouts', you are not limited to just one, but the limitations stated above still all apply. But note this: each connected Select 'Walkabout' gets its operating power from the Elite. So the more Selects you add as 'Walkabouts', the less track power there is for operating trains.

For more information on using a Select as a 'Walkabout' refer to Pages 20 - 23 of the Select manual - 1.5 version. Extract below:

/media/tinymce_upload/b35ce89ae52f200ae9d9f82dfdeef905.jpg

I also have  4 or 5 accessory decoders, will I need them in I use either the Elite on its own or the Elite and Select combined?

You would connect the Accessory Decoders to the Elite in exactly the same way, whether you are using the Elite on its own or using the Elite with the Select as a 'Walkabout' add-on controller knob. But note that my very first limitation will apply. Only points in the 61 - 99 DCC Address range will be operable from the Select.

I also suggest that the firmware revision level of the Select is checked (first number to briefly display during power up) if it is 10 or 11 then I think it would be prudent to upgrade the Select first before using as a Walkabout with a 1.4x version Elite.

I am new to DCC and I've just seen a picture on Hornby's website showing an Elite & Select side by side.

The bottom of this page:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/hornby-dcc-elite-controller.html

Why would they be used like this, what are the benefits / possibilities?

I do have both, the Elite I purchased, the Select was in a set.

I also have  4 or 5 accessory decoders, will I need them in I use either the Elite on its own or the Elite and Select combined?

The Elite came with a 4 Amp PSU which I guess is 'standard' with the Elite.