Changing CV32 on Loksound 5

I am trying to add switchable cab lights to my Heljan Class 33 running on a Loksound 5 decoder. To do this, I need to map the switching on and off of the lights to  Function buttons to run them off the Aux1 and Aux2 outputs of the decoder. Having finally (hopefully) got my mind around the labarynthine function mapping concepts set out in the ESU manual on the decoder, I believe that to do this I need first to access the extended CV range from 257-511. Accessing and writing to the range is not a problem but to map the physical output in each case, I need to change CV 32 to a value of 8. However, Railmaster limits the value of the CV 32 to 1-4. Is there a way to get round this or is the onabil;ity to write a value in excess of 4 is because Railmaster does not contain details of the Loksound 5 in its database?

I appreciate that the obvious way round this is to get a Lokprogrammer but am loathe to spend £130 if I can do this through Railmaster. 

Did you perform a read CVs function first?

If you did and the CV32 restriction is indeed due to a decoder being selected in the CV read / write that is not the Loksound 5. Then try the following.

If you restart RailMaster afresh. Open the 'Loco Settings' screen and go straight to the CV Read Write screen so that this screen is completely blank. Do not initiate any form of CV reading task. This should result with RM not having the slightest clue what decoder it is required to configure and thus leave all the CVs completely open and unrestricted for programming.

Then go directly to CV32 and see if it will allow you to enter the value you want. If it will, then click the pen icon to write that value to CV32.

RailMaster only uses the decoder database, supposedly as a time saver and to prevent users trying to read / write CVs or values that are not supported in the decoder. If you don't load a decoder from the database (by initiating a CV read task), then the CV read / write screen should be unrestricted and write anything to anything.

This is why I can (and have done so) used the RM LOCO CV read / write screen to write 8 to CV8 of my R8247 Accessory Decoder (to perform a factory reset) which is not even a loco.

Absolutely .. go straight to the CV screen.

In essence, you are using the CV read / write screen in isolation as a generic reading / writing utility.

Glad to hear I have another satisfied customer !!!

Unfortunately people read too much into this RailMaster database thing. The number of times I see posts like "I can't add my loco to the rosta cos it ain't in the database" or as in your case "my decoder isn't listed". It really doesn't matter if they are listed in the databases or not. RailMaster is flexible enough to do everything you want to do without the databases. As you have just found out.

It is about understanding 'how RailMaster works' and what the workarounds are. I found this TIP out (open CV writing) because I needed to write 8 to CV8 to my R8247 Accessory Decoder to reset it, R8247 reset is supported as a button feature within RailMasterPro but not the 'Standard' edition I had. So I experimented, and found I could use the 'Loco' CV writing screen to do it. Of course, there are still things in RailMaster that still do not work as advertised due to unfixed bugs, for which 'workarounds' are non existent.