Pendolino Decoder Swap

WelshTyneside

I have two Pendolino driving cars on my hands - a DCC fitted 390 012 and a DCC ready 390 045 (yet to arrive in the post). There are a range of factors for the following but I'm in essence getting rid of 012 and using 045 (renumbered) to lead the 012 coaches/dummy. I'd hoped the process for a swapping of decoders would be straightforward. The decoder in 012 was X9719 which will clearly not go into the 8-pin socket of 045 so I have a question.

Is there an easy way to use X9719 in an 8-pin socket OR is it easitest to just buy a new 9-pin decoder?

Is there an easy way to use X9719 in an 8-pin socket OR is it easiest to just buy a new 8-pin decoder?

Firstly I assume the 9 was a typo and you meant 8 (reproduced in bold above).

The only difference between Hornby's 7 pin X9719 decoder and the R8249 is that the 8 pin plug of the R8249 has been replaced in the factory by the 7 way Du-Pont connector.

1. So it would be possible to either make an adaptor from parts. Relatively high skill level required.
  2. Or cut off the 7 pin Du-Pont plug and fit an 8 pin plug**. Medium skill level.
  3. Or just use a new 8 pin decoder. Low skill level.

Note** scroll down the page that opens for part number 860006. But note that this item ships from USA so not going to be cheap. Possible that you might find a local stockist.

If you did want to pursue option 1 above. I can provide a list of parts and sources of those parts and schematics showing how to build an adaptor. But to be honest, I doubt you will be following that option, which is why I have not spent time documenting that information right here and now. Plus the cost of buying all the parts including delivery for a single 'one off' adaptor is probably not cost effective.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/