Sir Nigel Gresley A4

GeoffN

Hi

I have an old A4 Sir Nigel Gresley. It is a 2 track locomotive and the only labels I can find say Hornby Meccano, which is on the locomotive and the tender. I have had it for about 55years. Unfortunately it does not currently work and requires a new motor, brushes, magnet etc. Can anyone tell me anymore about this loco and if it is still possible to get spares? 

Welcome to the forum.

Your locomotive was probably made by Meccano Ltd in Liverpool.  I say probably because I can not find any record of a 2-rail A4 being made as Sir Nigel Gresley.  The only A4 was Golden Fleece, so your loco has either received a replacement body at some stage or has been renamed and renumbered, or it is a 3-rail loco that has been converted to 2-rail, in which case it is more like 70 years old.  Another possibility is that it was actually produced by Wrenn after the takeover but still using parts identified to Meccano.

Check the internet for Hornby-Dublo Spare Parts and you will find a number of possible sources.

I have a Duchess of Montrose that I converted to two rail many years ago. I used new Wrenn wheels and pickups, they were still in business then. I managed to find someone on the web/EBay who did rewound armatures, that was only two years ago and I replaced the magnet with a neo magnet. The place I used to get my parts from has closed, so dublo-spares sounds like the place to get brushes etc.