DCC (Power / BUS or no BUS)

JG2020

Morning all.

Previously a DC operator. Covid has got me at expanding! Looking at setting up a new layout on a DCC system. Image below. Two loops (1st and 2nd radius turns), a single branch line looping around 3 sides of the layout and a small goods yard. The board is about 7ft x 4ft. Will be using new Peco track. Both loops, branch and sidings connected via points to enable loco(s) to utalise all track. 

/media/tinymce_upload/28fe8dd43613cab3aa804c0c03d2e4d4.JPG

My question is this, assuming I am using a Hornby Elite DCC controller and use insulfrog points which have been soldered to create a continuous electical circuit (ie. not relieing on point blades to transfer current and therefore no isolation of certain sections of track) will the Elite provide enough power to the entire track for three locos via just one digital power clip? Say, if it were located in the second loop. The track will be layed on 2mm cork and ultimately ballasted. 

The board will not be up permenantly but slid out from under a bed (a two inch gap), hence the issue of wiring the underside of the board. I don't intend to operate anything other than locos... so no points, sounds, lights and turntables etc. Will the above power input be suitable for the board / track size, number of points and locos intended to be used without having issues of power loss. 

Many thanks!!

Hi JG, welcome to the forums. While best practice is always to use a power bus, your proposed arrangement should work fine for a long time until compromised by loose fishplates. 

Next, the significant thing for DCC is not layout size but number of locos etc you are running at the same time. The Elite can handle double the 3 you are intending to run. So the short answer is yes.  Especially as you will be limited to small 0-4-0 or 0-6-0 locos on 1 or 2 radius.

PS.  Don't use the blue button to reply, scroll to the bottom and use the text box and green button as I have. 

For further TIPs on getting the best user experience from this forum in addition to the one kindly provided by Fishy see the link below:

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Many thanks for your help. All very clear! On consideration I have decided to run a BUS under the board. Having done some more precise measuring, it will fit. I have also reconfigured my layout to now run a 3rd radius outer loop, 2nd radius inner loop and small 1st radius / sidings for shunting.

JG