DCC 6 Pin factory fitted not operating

Maverick17

Hi I bought a second hand mallard with a factory fitted 6 pin chip it was advertised as working but sadly i cant get it to operate I can change the number but it just hums doesnt move or respond

Anyone had a similar problem and any suggestions 

i am very new to to this hobby so have limited knowledge (or ability :-) )

What is the R number of the model?

What controller are you using?

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

I assume you must have a DCC controller to get it to work and change the loco number. One of the first things I do is try to read CV8 using the programming output to check that you get a manufacturers code, that then tells you that the decoder is working. It seems funny having a 6 pin decoder, Hornby normally fit 8, unless they used to do it ages ago. We are talking OO gauge and not N gauge. I fitted 6 pin decoders to my old Bachmann locos, but that was because there was no room to fit an 8 pin socket, I would have thought a factory fit into a Hornby model would be 8 pin.

Are you certain the decoder is fitted and hasn't been removed and replaced with a blanking plug?  With a blanking plug it is DC not DCC and would hum if placed on a DCC track, at least until the motor burns out (don't leave DC locos sitting stationary on a DCC track).

Maverick17,

Blanking plates (plug) can be 6 pin ... see image below. These are not decoders....

/media/tinymce_upload/0491f683959ceb01abecad1b81f1e485.jpg

I can see why someone would call that a six pin but it is an underpopulated 8 pin. I suspect though Chrissaf, you are absolutely right. That would explain the buzzing, but he said he changed the loco number. 

He might have gone through the process of changing the number .... that does not necessarily mean that anything actually happened to change it if he can't move the loco to prove the number [DCC Address] is accepted. Which is why I asked 'What controller?' to see how reliable this 'I changed the number' statement might be.

Like others ... I'm really focusing on Maverick17's

"I am very new to to this hobby so have limited knowledge (or ability :-) "

statement.

Also, a Mallard with a Factory Fitted 6 pin decoder seems unlikely unless it was N guage. A 0-6-0 Yes, or a 0-4-0 ... but an A4 Mallard. Something to consider that you also raised in your previous reply. Which is why I asked 'What R number?' to look at what the factory spec would be.

Maverick17 would not be the first newbie on this forum to mistake a 'blanking plate' for being a decoder.