Schools class locos

kenny10

What decoders fit these locos?

Very few Hornby locos have specific requirements with regards what decoders can fit. These two locos have NEM 652 8 Pin sockets. So basically any 8 pin NEM 652 decoder you want to fit should be OK. The Hornby R8249 is a NEM 652 8 pin decoder, but there are many other compatible brands to choose from.

If there is any issue, it isn't what decoder will fit the loco, but more what controller have you got with what firmware revision, and is that controller / firmware combination compatible with the decoder that you choose. This controller info is information you have omitted to tell us.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

I have got three of this type of loco, all of mine have the DCC socket in the tender. So if this is the case with yours, then no issue. There was even room to fit a Zimo sound unit with speaker. If however the socket is in the loco then there virtually no room, but I pretty sure Hornby put them all in the tender that is what the service sheet is saying. There should even be a weight in the tender shaped to take the TTS speaker, shame they don't make TTS for this model anymore. So you can use a standard Hornby 8 pin, Zimo cheap 8 pin or virtually anything that has an 8 pin decoder.