Valve Gear for Coronation Class X8942

JWL

Hi

Having searched everywhere, I'm wondering if anyone can help.  I'm desperately seeking a pair of valve gears (l/h and r/h) for my lovely Princess Alice Coronation Class.  Can anyone help at all?  Part no. is X8942

Thanks

Justin

Thanks Derek - forgive my ignorance but if the part is called X8942W, does the "W" refer to these being weathered or does it mean they're a differrent dimension etc when compared to part X8942 ?

Thanks 

Hi

Yes the "W" does or normally does stand for weathered ... Having said that why don't you email or give them a ring ... they are very helpful and a very good source of parts and documents , and fair prices I have always found.

Regards & Take care

Derek

Hi Derek

Thanks - I've managed to get a set ordered from them so will see how it goes!  Very grateful for your help. Not sure how easy these are going to be to replace - looks fiddly - but if you know of any good instructions/guides etc then that would be very much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Justin

Yes, if Lendons have a part in stock they are normally very reasonable on price and quite frequently have parts others don't. You are lucky it is not a newer version, you just have to breathe on the valve gear for it to break (ok a bit of exaggeration), it is so fine. 

Hi everyone.  Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions - really appreciated!  Already have a hex head driver (thanks Going Spare) so will wait for the part to arrive and then give it a go.  Such a lovely engine - hope I can get it going again. 🤐

Hi JWL

Sorry but I don't know where you would get detailled instructions , I can only suggest you take your time and don't force anything !... It may help you if you take some closeup photos of each side first ...(  before you start work ) ... also have a 9v battery handy as you may need to revolve the drive wheels / axles ?    ( unless this is a Tender drive model. ) .. I hope that helps a bit.

Regards ... Stay safe & good luck.... 

Derek

Hi - just by way of an update:  all re-fittted and running !  Thanks all for your help.  As a new member on this forum, I have to say how nice it is that everyone's so helpful.

• 9 months later...

I have been having a nightmare with replacing valve gear on Coronation Class model R2179. The tiny link from the centre driving wheel fractured. I eventually sourced a replacement (but weathered). When all refitted the locomotive would not run - it jammed. After much fretting I think I have found the problem in that the slider guides on one side are not parallel and the piston rod will not slide freely. Also the frame seems twisted. Disappointing having had to pay well over the original spares price to acquire a set.

It seem spares for Hornby locomotives with numbers lower than R2810 or there about are almost impossible to get now. Pity when one has a number of excellent older locomotives.