Hornby decoders [Accessory Decoders for points]

Guest Chrissaf

Presumably the second acc decoder (is it an R8247 ?) is actually being addressed 1-4 as per the first one, which indicates it probably isn't being programmed at all. You do not say which addresses it responds to if any.

The second (or any) acc decoder being programmed must be the only thing connected to your PA2 and you will probably have to give it a Group address i.e. 2 which applies addresses 5-8 to the ports.

Hornby Select and Elite controllers are smart enough to translate between port and group addresses automatically when you ask it to program using the accessory (ACC) button.

Failing that try programming it with port address 5. 

Note that if your PA2 can read back from an Acc decoder it will see the Group address not the port address.

As a complete novice I am trying to operate 6 sets of points from a gaugemaster prodigy advanced 2 and hornby surface mounted point motors. I am able to program the first four points through one hornby decoder but for some reason I cannot get the second decorder to program the other point motors

Any help would be very much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I concur with Rob. The R8247 leaves the factory with the four ports addressed as 1 to 4. So assuming that you are using those four DCC addresses successfully with the first four points, then that would explain why.

As Rob says, you haven't told us what addresses you are using, and you haven't actually said specifically that you are using R8247 decoders ... you've just said Hornby ... these could be R8216, which personally I wouldn't even try to use with a Prodigy controller.

If you have tried to address a second R8247 to something different, such as 5 to 8, then whatever method you are currently trying is not working. Either the second R8247 is still stuck on factory addresses 1 to 4, or possibly totally corrupted and now non functional.

Just as an aside, it seems a rather strange choice to choose a Hornby R8247 Accessory Decoder to use with your Gaugemaster Prodigy controller. Not the best brand combination. There are other non Hornby Accessory Decoder brands more suited to the Gaugemaster Prodigy.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/