Railroad tts fitted tornado stopped running smoothly

Phil G N

Hi just stared out on the dcc path and purchased the railroad tts fitted version of the torndo, was very pleased at first with its running and sound but now its started to be very very unresponsive and maķes a clicking sound while being very jerky and it seems to derail more i somehow think its to do with the wheels but could be wrong hence asking for advice does the screws that connect the tender and engine effect the running, all other locos run fine and  I have cleaned the track, and its pinned down so dont think its track related. I'm using the latest select firmware and I've left the tornado programmed as default.

Thanks in Advance.

Hi,,,,usually with these TTS locos that are jerky ,usually on starting off and coming to a halt you have to alter the cv settings,somewhere in the instructions there is a section about changing the algorithm,in my experience it doesn't necessarily work .The only thing that I can't comment on is why it was running fine but now it isn't,with dcc make sure that track and wheels are kept clean ,,,hope this helps ,,mjb

...and makes a clicking sound while being very jerky and it seems to derail more I somehow think its to do with the wheels.

Given the key words highlighted above, it sounds like a wheel may have slipped on the axle and put the quartering out of alignment.

Quartering - Wheels on one side of the loco are offset by 90° (quarter revolution) to the wheels on the other side of the loco.

If one single wheel has slipped then the coupling rod geometry misalignment should be obvious in a visual inspection.

This is where a 'rolling road' pays dividends. As you can observe more closely the action of the wheels and coupling rods as the wheels turn. Any 'rocking action' from side to side, would tend to confirm a quartering issue.

Thank you for your help and advice but I've had to return the item it became totally unresponsive ignoring the emergency stop button just kept going  I couldnt controll the speed or anything and  then it just died completly. All my other locos worked fine so sure it wasnt a track issue.