Which Decoder/s?

OzRobM

I have the Western Rover set, which contains an 0-4-0 engine.  Which decoder do I need to be able to convert it to DCC?
Can I add sound to it?  What item do I need?
I have also ordered the Lyme Regis Branch Line set, which contains the Adam's Radial LSWR 415 class ‘0415’ 30583 in BR lined black with early crests - DCC Ready.  Which decoder do I need for it?
Is the Hornby E-Link the best way to go for operating on DCC?

I have the Western Rover set, which contains an 0-4-0 engine.  Which decoder do I need to be able to convert it to DCC?

Now I'm not saying that the description on the link below is the absolute best way of converting a Standard Hornby Set 0-4-0 locomotive to DCC, but it does give a flavour of what sort of work is involved. You can then gauge as to whether the conversion is suitable for your particular skill set. The conversion shown in this clickable link uses a Hornby R8249 DCC Decoder.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/hornby-dcc/decoder-installation-guides/standard-0-4-0-decoder-installation-guide/

Anything is possible, but given the small size of the 0-4-0 loco, the biggest issue is finding space for a 'speaker'. The only sound decoders Hornby currently do are TTS decoders. Currently there is no standard TTS decoder for a generic 0-4-0 locomotive. So even if you were not at all interested in sound accuracy and just put in something sounding approximately right, you would probably have to compromise on finding a replacement speaker small enough to fit inside the very limited space within a 0-4-0 assuming a suitable one could even be sourced.

Note: Fitting a decoder (including the sound option) in a non 'DCC Ready' locomotive requires 'soldering tools and the skills to use them'.

Adam's Radial LSWR 415 class ‘0415’ 30583 in BR lined black with early crests - DCC Ready.  Which decoder do I need for it?

This locomotive will be easier to convert if it is 'DCC Ready' as you state. Hornby DCC Ready means that it will have an eight pin NEM652 socket inside it, currently fitted with a power by-pass PCB called a 'Blanking Plate'. To convert this to DCC you would remove the 'Blanking Plate' and plug in a R8249 8 pin NEM652 decoder instead. Or any brand of NEM652 8 pin decoder for that matter.

Again, there is no TTS decoder I am aware of made specifically for this loco. So once more it is a compromise choice of what TTS sound is sufficiently similar, assuming you are not interested in accuracy. The same comments about suitable speaker as before applies. At least this loco has a 'DCC Ready' socket and is a larger body, so fitting sound is probably more doable than the 0-4-0

Is the Hornby eLink the best way to go for operating on DCC?

This question inevitably generates a subjective answer. It depends who you ask this question to and what control features are important to them. eLink is just the interface box to connect a PC running RailMaster software to your layout. Thus the controller is actually the RM software not the eLink.

So if you want 'mouse point and click' control of your layout with on-screen graphics representing your track layout with the ability to integrate signal and point control plus the ability to create a limited level of 'automation' programs to run the layout. Then yes ... RailMaster is best.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Thank you Chris!  I appreciate the information you've provided, as well as the hints for me as a newbie.  At least now, I have some product codes to deal with.  Most hobby related products are hard to come by these days.  Model train items are mostly out of stock here in Australia.  I can now shop around for those specific items you've identified.Thank you so much!Rob