Loco catching on points

OzRobM

Just gor the Lyme Regis Branch Line set, which has the 4-4-2 Adams Radial '30583' Loco.  First trials on track showing that the leading wheels are catching on the plastic guide rails inside the track as it moves onto the points.  This causes the front of the leading wheel set to jump off the rail. The points are Hornby track.  Anyone else have this problem? ... or is there something I should be doing?

There are many suggestions to help solve these problems, here's what normally works for me:

-> Check the back-to-back wheel gauge of the locomotive

(In the past I have edited the frog of my hornby points after my class 350 and others derailed on all of them but this is a drastic action only if nothing else works)

Oz,   derailing on points  is a better search .  I would do a quick check on points levelling . I have had  problems with that, you need to be quite accurate. Also if you have Vernier Calipers  check the back to back measurement on wheels, from memory I think it should be 14.5 mm. Tape measure and rule/r  , are not accurate enough .  The plastic moulding on the frogs and guides also sometimes cause a bit of grieff. 

STG got in before me. Thanks STG.

Thanks to both STG and gitter.

I've read a few of the previous posts on this problem, and I'm quite annoyed with Hornby.  I agree with one writer that Hornby need to seriously review their Quality Control!

If there is someone from Hornby monitoring this, I suggest you reply to this issue.

There is NO REASON for anyone buying your product and running it on your track/points to have any problem.  There are sufficient posts about this same problem to send up a red flag to your quality people.  We SHOULD NOT have to make adjustments to components to make them run smoothly.

I have bought your products in good faith, and will continue to do so, as long as you are receptive to problems we raise, and take appropriate action.  This issue clearly indicates that you have NOT taken appropriate action, and continue to sell products WITH KNOWN FAULTS!

That is ILLEGAL in Australia, and I'm sure the UK has similar legislation.  I look forward to your prompt - and positive - response.

As GS says, this is a 'user generated content' forum. Nobody from Hornby is reading your comments. If you want to make a point, then write to 'Simon Kohler' Hornby's Marketing Director.

Why not then buy Peco points, they are about the same price and in the "Settrack Range" the same radiuses and then you go to their Streamline range which has an array of different points. They are slightly better engineered.

There are several factors to bear in mind here:

1. Locomotive in new condition?  Might have been damaged in transit / handled incorrectly ... for example.
  2. Track correctly installed?          No insult intended, but we've all done it - missed a fishplate and the part-elevated track derails the locomotive.
  3. Approach speed?                      Obvious, but some may approach too quickly.
  4. Mounting?                                  Mentioned on several occasions in the past, and broaches a 'grey area' I wouldn't disagree with you on, but some / many find an additional pin strategically positioned is required on occasion to ensure the points / turnout remain flat.
  5. Wheel spacing?                         Shouldn't be a user-defined variable, but often is, to ensure the B2B (back-to-back) is the considered-optimum of 14.5mm.

It seems like you are well versed - not a novice - but certain aspects do regularly consider review / re-consideration.

Al.

As a side issue, but under the same heading. I use Kadee couplers, and Peco Code 75 points. I have found that the metal hook(?) on the Kadee hits the top of the point rod and stops the loco dead in its track - will spill the tea in the restaurant car!  The point rods were cut as short as the cutter would allow, but probably need grinding down with the dremel. In some cases I have bent the rod fractionally to clear the point rod.