Hornby J13 body

ColinB

Hiya

Well I've just searched for "J13 Model Loco" & a load of photos came up - can't say for sure - but by the looks for things - there could be a chance!!!

I found this aswell (not sure if this helps or not...)

"This model can be relatively expensive and some retailers sell new boxed DCC fitted versions for £44, which (at that price) are best avoided.  It costs a little more than the Hornby Jinty, but unlike the Jinty it doesn’t have a better ready-to-run version available elsewhere to drive sown the prices.  GNR examples tend to command slightly higher prices, both new and used, but this is fairly justified as they do look very good.  Fortunately second hand versions are common, as are unboxed new ex-train-set models and if you shop-around you can find a bargain.  If you buy secondhand, go for a China-made version – the finish is a little better and chassis generally less variable."

I would say that the body mountings have remained the same.

Two prongs one end of the chassis, usually the front, and a clip at the other, rear, end.

So, in theory, a newer China made DCC ready or fitted Chassis should fit. I hope to do this to our example of the Preserved loco.

Any internal weight in the smokebox, usually a solid metal cylinder attached with black-tack, would need to be removed to clear the DCC socket/ decoder.

The 2721 GWR pannier tank has been successfully transplanted into a DCC fitted "Jinty" chassis.

The two prongs and clip body fixing was introduced on the front wheel drive 0-6-0 chassis, used in the "Jinty", LBSCR E2, etc.

Most, if not all of the 0-6-0 locos using the common chassis have retained the same mountings.

The class 08 with inside frames, as used in train sets, and the Railroad range, uses the same chassis, but with an adaptor,  which simply clips in place in the loco body.

It depends upon which chassis type your loco has - early J13s/J52s were produced with the chassis Sarah refers to with front wheel drive and the Tri-ang X03 motor.  From the mid-1980s, the centre-drive chassis with the small type 7 motor, finer gearing and traction tyres replaced it.  That chassis has seen improvements over the years with the deletion of tyres and sprung rear axle, full-depth flanges on all wheels, uprated motor and pick-ups on all wheels.  So the answer is yes, improved to a smaller or larger degree.

@ ColinB  By sheer coincidence I have the definite answer. I spent 5 hours yesterday trying to get my J-52 DCC fitted (by a previous owner) to run. No luck. On DC it ran sometimes, other times not . (Pause to delete bad language) ☹️.

As I preferred the J-52 body to my J-83 analog I gave up and swapped the bodies. Quite easy.

The nasty little brute of a DCC chassis had the last laugh. It ran well, finally, last night /media/tinymce_upload/899af44ff82c9f851e8da69bef02f370.jpgon DC. Then today it would not run at all.