Duchess of Sutherland to DCC

shane_barry

I am trying to verify (before opening it up) which Duchess of Sutherland I have, it is loco driven with a moving pony truck and I want to be able to convert it to DCC.  It is from the Marks and Spencer Royal Train set if that helps to narrow it down!

So my questions are:

Is it DCC ready?

If so where is the plug (tender or body)

Is it easy to convert Tender to take DCC sound if the plug is in body seeing as there is never space for speakers on the body!

In my 8th edition of Pat Hammond's catalogue, he states the Duchess started to be fitted with DCC decoder sockets in 2005.  While he does not give a date for R1091, the same loco was included in set R1065 which is dated to 2006 so, on the basis that set numbers were allocated in date order, it is reasonable to assume that the R1091 Duchess does have a socket fitted, albeit in the loco because an electrical drawbar was still used.

Shane says he will have to employ his trusty soldering ~ GUN

I do hope you mean soldering iron - those instant heat guns will kill a decoder instantly. They are great for soldering tin cans, but not electronics, they are WAY too fierce - AND have a significant voltage present on the copper tip. Watch one sparking if one of the narrow 'legs' to the tip burns through!

The heat will cook the decoder, and the excess volts will fry it! So you've got a doubly-dead decoder!