Custom Platforms

Hi all,

I was just thinking of ways to do a platform, and I've come up with having a custom cut pieice of MDF 18mm thick. What I can't figure out is how I will turn it from being a piece of wood into a viable platform (ie. Sides and surface). Any advice would be appreciated!

If you have or know anyone with a router, you may be able to run it along the track facing edge, just short of the full 18mm, so that you are left with a lip. Most platforms have some form of edging that protrudes slightly beyond the brickwork/concrete which gives it its height. I would suggest you have a look at the real thing (Youtube) to get some ideas.

To get the lip, you could reduce the depth of the mdf and then place textured or paving style plasticard on top. The picture shows Peco SR Concrete Platform Edging - you could stick this to your mdf - this edging has the "edging slabs" in place, which you could then "butt join" a top surface to - your mdf would need to be slightly reduced in height. Just an idea

https://flic.kr/p/2iXWqW1

The simplest solution when using 18mm MDF is to edge the MDF with PECO LK-62 and LK-68 mouldings. Requires a bit of modelling [fettling], but certainly doable

/media/tinymce_upload/1a6ca238f6fc06c6b6c53dce26b06956.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/459eb6c89fd5980f530543f6d4b1d058.jpg

I have started to make a platform for my Goathland station ( Hornby Skaledale Hogsmead), I was going to do the same as Chrissaf recommends, get the basic shape with MDF, use Peco platform edging and then use something like Wills sheet for the plaform top. Glue all this to the MDF. In my case I need to line the Peco platform edging with Wills stone wall material, the Peco "stick on" stuff doesn't really cut it for me and I am sure it will peel off anyway.

Hi To_the_trains

Yes a platform can be cut from MDF you must get your shape and measurements dead right to avoid trains fouling it when finished painted sand paper and card can be used for the top.

What do you want as the platform sides steel wood concrete brick or stone?

regards John

If you want brick facing, you might want to look at Redutex Self-Adhesive Brick sheets. They are very good - Redutex are a Spanish tile manufacturer. They do a large selection of brick, roofing and roadway sheets - not the cheapest, but to my mind the best - very realistic. BB

If anyone decides to try the Redutex sheets, try and find a UK supplier. The downside to this is that they probably will not have the full range, but you will not be faced with heavy postage charges. I bought directly from the factory in Spain - it took about two weeks to arrive, and I recall the postage was more than I paid for the items - but that's life. I would add that the sheets are very easy to cut with either a craft knife or scissors, and you can wrap the sheep around a corner - the sheets have a peel-off backing. As I've said "a first class product".