Problem with loco or Select controller

Guest Chrissaf

I know, you press the key to upload it, think it hasn't happened and do it again, you need to wait a while while the system catches up. Unfortunately, the videos are a bit dark. I doubt it is the Select, does it run any other locos? If so then it is not the Select. Normally you would see if you can read CV8 in programming mode, but I doubt your select can read CVs (I gather it works with new software). Generally when TTS decoders die they put a short circuit across the power, so you would have noticed that. Open up the loco and check the decoder is pressed fully home in the socket. Now this may sound silly but have a smell around the decoder, to see if you can detect any sort of burning smell, if so then you might have killed the decoder, but I doubt it. It is either pickups or the socket. Also check all the wires onto the socket are still intact. I assume it worked originally. I hope that helps. How old is your class 47? There is a post on here about class 66s with TTS, have a read and see if any of it is relevant.   !!!!!!!! Whatever you do don't put another decoder into the class 47 unitl you have figured what is wrong, just in case it is blowing up decoders !!!!!!.

There have been several posts recently where TTS locos can play the sounds (playing horns and whistles prove that the Select is communicating to the decoder) but the loco doesn't move. The mostly likely reason for this is that the H bridge motor control output circuit on the decoder has blown. This can potentially be caused by over-loading and overheating of the decoder by the motor.

You didn't say if the loco was factory fitted with the decoder or fitted 'after market'. Whichever is appropriate, either the loco or the decoder needs to be replaced. Under warranty if one is still valid.

Just to clarify something Colin wrote. Select controllers can not read any CVs regardless of the firmware installed on it. The later firmware only added the ability to write to CVs.

For TTS sound locos and sound decoders in general, you need as a minimum Select firmware version 1.5. There is always a possibility (but unlikely) that your loco is not moving because you have a very early firmware installed on your Select.

If your firmware is below 1.5, then I recommend you get your Select upgraded first before consigning your sound loco to the 'needs repair' pile.

The current installed firmware is displayed as the very first number to briefly appear on the Select screen as it is being powered up. Expect to see a number between 10 and 20. At the time of writing the latest version is 1.6 [16] or 2.0 [20] - both the same. These latest versions completely transform the user experience of the Select controller and add the ability to write (not read) all CVs.

The upgrade charge is typically £15 plus VAT [£18] plus your sending postage costs. You need to get a 'returns number' from Hornby Customer Services - see 'Contact Us' link at the very bottom of the page.

You might also like to check out this recent thread as the solution in it might possibly be appropriate to your issue as well.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/post/view/topic_id/32501/?p=2

Does the loco react if the sound is off. If not then given there is not a problem with the loco (prove it is ok with another decoder) then you should look to trying to get the decoder replaced under warranty if less than a year old.

And perform a Select factory reset [page 19 of the Select manual] just to eliminate the Select completely.

That would depend on if the TTS decoder was factory fit in which case the warranty has expired or if it was a retro fit decoder, in which case the decoder warranty is 1 year from when you bought it.