Looking for help!!!

Shanky827

Hi. I have been left a selection of model rail sets and equipment and I'm looking to find out how to go about getting these valued and sold.

My grandfather passed away some time ago and I've now got round to dismantling his collection from the loft.

I have too much stuff to list but some of the main items are a hornby dublo "Torbay express" in the original box, a complete "mighty mallard" set with instructions and sound effect cassette and many other items.

There is also a box which contains hornby

dublo spare parts all in their original packaging.

Any help/advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks

Hi, im feel sad that you want to sell it all! However, if its its not your interest then it in your interest to sell it! My advice is to look if there are any local model railway clubs close by, and make contact with them. You should get some good advive

from them, from my experience they should be good, just dont trust the bloke who says he will give you £100 for everything, hes bad news!!!!!
JLBA!!
Sorry about your lose, have you considered taking up where your Grandfather left off???

Sorry to hear of your loss.

For valuation there is a book that lists all the retail values of such models, called ramsay's british model trains, most of the guys here have a copy tucked away somewhere. Original H/D spares are worth their weight

in gold and fetch good money.

Private sale is the best way of selling them, an advert in the classifieds in one of the model railway magazines usually brings good results. Be prepared for time wasters a plenty, dodgy dealers wanting to make a quick

buck but in that lot will be a genuine buyer, always take cash and check the notes and coins carefully. Research is key to any sale, if you sell to a dealer then be prepared to expect around around half the retail value listed in the guide for mint items,

lesser condition items will fetch less.

Don't bother with online or real world auctions things can go for peanuts or silly prices depending on who's bidding, and there are suction fees, listing fees etc to pay.

JLBA gives sound advice about model

clubs, but do your homework if you can first and as JLBA rightly says beware of the something for nothing chancers offering a set price. Even selling privately you will get the usual "I've only got £200 on me today, carn't do more than that", if you get such

a buyer then turn the offer down, it can usually make them dig in their pockets and if by magic some extra cash appears. You will also get the " oh they made them by the thousand, it's only worth 5p" brigade, don't fall for that one either.

My advice

research and find out prices, know the price you want before selling.

Condition will be everything, items in mint condition in mint boxes will fetch top price.

Archived