Help - Is my new train ok? Or broken?

Ads040

Hi all! Just got my first solo loco (ie not in a set) and it's the King Henry III In a lovely BR blue. 

BUT, my other loco is the Hogwarts Castle and I can immediately hear that the buzzing when power goes through it and the noise of the parts moving is noticably louder on my bew King Henry III.

Is it ok? How much buzzing and noise is too much? Should I expect it to be noticeably louder than the Hogwarts Castle? 

All opinions would be gratefully received! 

Read the sticky post at the top of the forum General discussion section.

The sound you are describing is that made by a DC loco on a DCC track.  If so then desist before you burn your motor out.

What DC controller are you using, is it one of the latest ones? I am assuming the loco runs as you say it makes a lot of noise. If you have got one of the new Hornby controllers that use PWM to control the loco, they do make a lot of noise on low settings. I did have issues with my one, but that was mainly the motor not being lined up properly, but in my case the loco stopped running and just made a horrible noise grinding noise. Once I fixed it I don't remember it making much noise, but I use DCC.

It is the controller that comes with the Hogwarts Express train set. And the train doesn't have a DCC decoder fitted (Not sure if that's useful info).

Yes, loco runs but I'm surprised it is noticeably noisier than the other one when both were new.

Am I hearing then that the buzzing is probably because I am using DC, but the noise it makes when running could be something else?

Or does the King Class run noisier than the Hall Class (which is what the Hogwarts Castle is I think).

Both of my 'latest retool' King locomotives are near-silent.

If nothing wrong in the power-supply side, then I'd check it out.

If it is brand new, you've little experience, still have the receipt, and haven't done anything to it then I'd speak to your supplier - see if they're prepared to take it back / replace or refund it.

It definitely should not make much of a buzzing noise.

I suspect some of the linkage is jammed or motor skipped a gear / jammed.

Nothing which cannot be easily resolved but dont touch it if you have little experience - it could void any refund / replacement if required.

Al.

Don't worry about the blanking plug, it wouldn't work without one so that is not your problem. I just think it is your controller. The Hogwarts express is quite new so it is going to be a PWM controller, so you will get some buzzing when you start up, it should get less the faster you go, if it doesn't then it is your loco. The buzzing will depend on the reaction between your motor and pwm of the controller. If it is easy then get who supplied it to check it out, they will probably know what it should sound like. The other thing to do is see if the valve gear moves smoothly, usually if there if a gear issue you should hear a slight click, but from what you say it is a buzzing, so if anything it is the motor. To check the controller you could put both locos on the same track placed suitably apart and see if the noise is less, if so then is it probably the controller. The other thing which is quite important is the blue King is not that easy to get, the dealers are running out, I went through many dealers trying to source one.

I just did a check on one of my cheap Chinese motors (if you read SAMS you tube video you will see what these are) which are roughly the same as Hornby fit in their locos. You get excess buzzing if there is excess load on the motor so there may well be something wrong. 

ColinB, thanks for being so helpful and taking the time to think through my problem. 

First, I've checked and I think the buzzing decreases in prominence the more power I apply with the controller. The other running noises (you are right, there isn't a click) get louder too. 

I've just tried both Hogwarts Castle and KH3 on the same track (a 3rd radius oval) and the HC is quieter. I can't hear a buzz over its quiet running noise, but I can hear the buzz over the louder overall noise of the KH3.

The KH3 is noticeably quicker and heavier (I think) so I've tried to only compare their performance on straights not curves. I wondered if it was just noticeably louder but from what's been said on this thread, I think the two locos should be more similar (I.e. the KH3 ought to be quieter). 

I am not an expert, but if you think about it the Hogwarts Castle is going to be less sophisticated to the King, so everything will be simpler, so less strain on the motor so less current and less buzzing. I never looked at a Hogwarts express but it might not even have all the extra gearing a King has. The valve gear especially, so it could be that it buzzes now because the motor is doing more work. bulleidboy is absolutely right they do quiet down once they get run in, I had an exceptional noisy five pole tender driven loco I have just converted, after half an hours running in, it got a lot quieter. It is obvious really, all the high spots on the gears need bedding in. The only other thing I can think of, is the motor is not aligned with the gears, but mine failed within ten minutes, so from what you say yours hasn't, so it is not that. Funny, all I did was unscrew the motor and screw it back and it was fixed.

I did do a test on my King and it is quite quiet but I am using DCC, and TTS and I am used to really old Hornby tender driven locos that are very noisy. I would have tried it on DC but I had to disable the DC option as the TTS used to go flying off, and I don't take newer locos apart unless I absolutely have to (it is so easy to damage something).  The best idea I can think of is "run it in" for half an hour if it is going to fail then it probably will during that time, so you can return it as broken. I think half the probem is the controller, my DC one from a Pendolino set buzzes an awful lot with certain locos, there are even posts on this forum over that very subject.

bulleidboy and ColinB, many thanks once again for all your help. I think I'll run it in a bit more than usual and see where that gets me. She'a a beauty to see going around the track so fingers crossed she'll be ok. 

When it goes slowly on a straight track - say one driving wheel revolution every 2 or 3 seconds so not too slow - is there a point where is slows noticeably?

If YES, then check the movement of the coupling and connecting / piston rods to see if there is any interference or obstruction.

You will always get some slight variations, but nothing drastic is anticipated, and particularly no 'clicks'.

Al.

Based on ColinB, bulleidboy, and atom3624's advice combined. I've run it a bit more watching each but I can carefully and then watching a slomo video and the back wheels of the tender arent always rolling, and sometimes skid along. 

Could that cause more noise and more strain on the loco?

There will be pick-ups on the tender as well I think, which will cause some slight resistance to rotation, but they should be free-ish running - shouldn't have to be dragged along.

I generally add weight where able to the locomotives and tenders - some don't - and always give 'a little dab' of oil to moving parts.

As they say 'if the oil's visible, there's too much', so just a little. This may be necessary on the tender, but be careful as that loco / tender are joined together and the junction between is not that strong.

Be VERY CAREFUL with the white 4-wire micro-plug - very susceptible to damage ... but easily removed / re-plugged once you're used to it.

Al.

Based on ColinB, bulleidboy, and atom3624's advice combined. I've run it a bit more watching each but I can carefully and then watching a slomo video and the back wheels of the tender arent always rolling, and sometimes skid along. 

Could that cause more noise and more strain on the loco?