HST TTS failure

ColinB

The TTS Decoder in my HST has just failed, it was running perfectly when it sort of slowed down, I did think that I am sure it used to go faster and then a few revolutions later just died. It now just registers as a short circuit. Now for once I did nothing to it, it was in the HST pefectly insulated, the only thing is today it is very hot in the loft. I suppose it is a return to Hornby, trouble is it must be about 6 months old. It can't be overcurrent as I know from bitter experience they basically smoke. Are they really that susceptical to heat? I suppose I will have to go through all my "on line" receipts to find a receipt for the return.

I don't think anything electronic in the modelmarket is really designed for heat. I only recently converted to DCC (not enough time to see the issues), but today I can confirm I was not running trains due to the weather.

In previous years I've had many components blow in circuit boards - generally when the temperature is over / around 30 degrees, hence now all trains are grounded when the temperature exceeds the limit.

I do have the HST TTS decoders fitted to my Intercity 125, and after seeing all the threads here of TTS Decoders going wrong I thought it was wise to keep it in its own isolated siding (only one on the layout), to keep it in the best condition.

Yes thinking about it, I think there must be a heat dissapation issue with these modules. I replaced the TTS with a Zimo normal DCC module and it has been happily doing circuits all afternoon. I suspect it has got to be the motor driver as the one in the tail unit that doesn't have a motor is perfectly OK.