Error reading Decoder

I have a new Black 5 that I set up a couple of years ago but never got round to using.  I have recently alter my way of number and so deleted the original loco out of the database and re-enterd it with the new number...  HOWEVER, on asking Railmaster to read the CV it came up with a Hornby basic four function decoder number 012 instead of the fitted TTS Black 5...

I tried a couple of times and even deleted the entery and reloaded it plus doing a reset on CV8 but still the same result....

I put the loco on the track and everything works as it should for a Black 5 TTS then read again and still says decoder type 012...

Obviously happy it still works as it should be any reason why it will not identify the decoder.

Your description is I'm sorry to say just a little vague.

If you use RailMaster [RM] to read the values of the decoder CVs, there is nothing in the decoder that will tell RM that you have got a 'Black 5'. The 'Black 5' loco type information is not held in the decoder.

So it is a bit unclear as to what screens in RM your question really relates to.

There are two approaches that could be taken. You could post some screen capture images of the RM screens that are giving you trouble.

OR

You could read my 'how to set up a locomotive in RM' posts and see where in the methodology you are going wrong.

I have documented various aspects of setting up locos in RM in these previous posted threads.

Adding a loco from the database into RM (my post 3rd one down).

http://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/loco-registration/?p=1

Manually adding a Loco to the RM Database.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/r3459tts-decoder-not-recognized-23469/

Full description of the ‘Locomotive Settings’ screen in detail.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/changing-cruise-and-shunt-speeds/?p=1

I didn't actually say the decoder tells RM it is Black 5 what I said was RM is not correctly identifying the decoder.  It is saying it is a basic Hornby 4 function decoder and not the TTS decoder fitted. It appears to be reading CV7 incorrectly resulting then in only reading the applicable CV's for that identified chip.

Obviously in a TTS decoder there are a lot more CV's that can be read and changed, they are just not being read...!!!

I have close to a hundred loco's all with various control systems and different makes/types of decoder and apart from reading errors, normally due to dirty pickups and the like; this is the only TTS decoder that although apparently working OK on the main track with all sound functions etc normal when asked to read its CV's it will not identify correctly.....

It is saying it is a basic Hornby 4 function decoder and not the TTS decoder fitted. It appears to be reading CV7 incorrectly resulting then in only reading the applicable CV's for that identified chip.

Now I understand the question.

Double click CV7 and a pull down list appears of all the decoders that have previously been added to the decoder database. If the TTS decoder used by the 'Black 5' has been added by HRMS, then you should find it listed. If it is, you can then manually select it to 'over write' the auto selection. Depending upon the TTS decoder batch, incorrect detection is a reported bug in the decoder firmware and not an issue with RM itself.

Double click CV7 is not an available feature in all versions of RM. IIRC it was added in version 1.67 released December 2017.

Chris

Thanks for that and I had seen that page of decoder listings as I accidently accessed it one time but could not remember how I had done it...  There is no Black 5 in the listing and strangely enough given the time TTS decoders have been about there is only four specific ones..  However; some of my other TTS decoders just return 001 which is TTS generic steam so I set that.  Rechecked and all readable CV's were back.

Thinking on I have a couple more decoders (different manufacturers) that return incorrect details; I thought they were damaged.  Luckily have not thrown them away so I will try the same 'trick' and see if I can find them as well.

That is pretty much as I would have expected. A generic TTS steam entry. I did say that there would be no entry written specifically as 'Black 5' held in the decoder [my bold sentence in my original reply].

The CV7 'double click' listing access is documented in the very last paragraph of

Page 72 in the current RM manual.

Thinking on, I have a couple more decoders (different manufacturers) that return incorrect details.....

When RM comes up against a decoder that is not in the database and it doesn't recognise the decoder after successfully reading CV7 / CV8, RM usually throws up a message box along the lines of "email the decoder PDF manual to HRMS" so that they can add it in a future RM update.

Not having the decoder in the database, doesn't stop one using it. If you ignore the initial read CVs step and don't perform a 'read CV7' function, then all the valid CV's for that particular decoder become read / write capable.

The RM decoder database function is basically just supposed to be a 'time saver', to save having to have the decoder manual list of supported CVs page open either in paper form or as a PDF. In other words, the supported CVs and their function and default values that are documented in the decoder manual then become listed (editable) and documented directly in the RM CV read/write Window to save time. That is all the RM database function does.

It doesn't stop one using an unrecognised decoder as long as it works and isn't faulty.