Gear train for Hornby Stanier 4p

ColinB

This is just for information. I needed a gear train for my Hornby Stanier 4p. Hornby don't have them anymore. I was surfing the web and I came up on the RM chatroom where someone had exactly the same issue. Anyway somebody on there said the Hornby A1 gear train works and sure enough it does. The gear on the wheel is the same one that they use in many of their other locos. I did find the Merchant Navy gear train was too big. The good news is they still sell them, for some reason Tornado spares seem a lot easier to obtain.

So, for the benefit of others, are you saying gear pack X6346 as used in the Peppercorn A1 and some versions of the Railroad Gresley A1/A3 can be used in the Fowler/Stanier tank whereas X8849 as fitted to the Merchant Navy and other versions of Gresley A1/A3 is not suitable?

Merchant Navy, A3, A4, Duchess, Princess, Coronation motors are bigger than Railroad Tornado's - 5-pole skew wound with no flywheel - super smooth (normally) so the flywheel isn't needed, just avoid abrupt start / stopping - which you should anyway.

All models mentioned above relate to the Super Detail models, and have the same motor - not Tornado, Duke of Gloucester, Castle, King ... they're different.

Al.

Yes, exactly that the X8849 Merchant Navy intermediate gear is too big, whereas the X6346 A1/ Tornedo is not. I did wonder if gears were spread around the range, it is a shame that there isn't a site where you could look this up or some of the suppliers have an equivalent listed. Perhaps it goes against Hornby's terms and conditions. I suppose you need to find the "brain" in the spares suppliers, bit like when you walk in the Ford Dealer and there is an old boy that knows the parts off by heart and their equivalents.