Pre - Orders.

Puffed Out

Just to add, it depends where in the production cycle the model is when you place your pre-order.

Some Hornby pre-orders have taken more than a year to materialise, although 6 to 9 months is more typical.

A few years ago, the R8247 (DCC Accessory Decoder) was on pre-order for the best part of two years.

Obviously, and very unfortunately for many this year's complication has added at least 2-4 months to a typical delay.

Many mid-year-anticipated releases are more likely to appear - perhaps conveniently - closer to Christmas / New Year, etc.

Al.

It depends upon whom you are placing your pre-order with.

The extract below is pasted from Hornby's published Terms &Conditions. They are published openly on the Hornby website and easy to find.

/media/tinymce_upload/f96942a818526ab1c469a8f0fa7321e0.jpg

AFAIK Hattons also operate a 'pay when despatched' policy.

Lest there be any lingering doubt (as Hornby do not make the situation entirely clear), the up to 30-day wait time referred to by them is the allowance for the carrier to deliver the product to the customer from the date of despatch, not the total time lag from date of the customer placing the order to receiving it. 

Hornby usually send you an email to say they are about to dispatch "whatever". I don't know if it's changed, as I don't use this method of payment with Hornby, but Paypal used to take payment immediately the order was placed - even if the model was not due for six months - they may have changed their policy.

One thing to bear in mind if paying using a credit/debit card.

In some cases the details, that is card number, etc. are automatically deleted after a time.

I had an order with a retailer, and had to supply the card details again when the item was received into stock, before it could be dispatched.

In other cases, the card may expire before the item is received into stock, and a replacement card's details would be required.

I have had a long standing order for R3632 Air Smoothed Merchant Navy 35024 "East Asiatic Company", which I cannot understand it should be just a recolouring on an existing model, but who knows, perhaps it is one of the tooling sets that got thrown away. It is funny I remember when I was young going down to the toy shop to buy Triang new issues to find that they were late, in the end I used to just give up. Things don't change much, although Hornby seemed to be able to rush out that Captain Tom very quickly. Some of the "Rails" special editions take forever.