Weight in Dummy car of HST

ColinB

I was checking my HST today and picked up the dummy car, I noticed it has the same weight in it as the driving car. Does it need it? I took the weight out which is 54 grams, which I suspect is equivalent to several additional carriages which probably explains why I have been having a lot of issues with driver wheels traction. Even with the weight out it is still quite heavy with the weghts on the wheels.

The only word of caution I would mention is stability.  Stability when the power car is propelling and the non-powered driving car is the leading vehicle transitioning from straight to curved track on the flat and negotiating pointwork particularly on the diverging route when running at perhaps overscale speeds.

Hi Colin.

Before I replaced all of my ringfield drive HST's and replaced them with the later version I removed the weights from the dummy power cars for exactly the same reason and they run perfectly fine.

Regards

Stu.

Yes, on some carriges and wagons you need to add weight because they are so light they derail. I had to do it to my Lima DMU. I only noticed the weight in the dummy car when I tried to get my Ringfield based Sir Nigel Gresley (upgraded to 5 pole) to pull my HST without the driver unit, it was slipping like mad. Even without the weight the trailer unit is still heavy, it has weights on each bogie.

Must admit I'm very surprised it cannot handle a 'normal train' of 8 or 9 carriages - is the motor requiring attention / are the tyres in need of replacement?

My 'Super Detail' Virgin HST has no problems with 'too many' and can easily pull them in excess of a scale 120+ mph - if there's the room / track to handle it!!

Al.

The wheels on the dummy car aren't very free-wheeling either.  Rather than being on pinpoint axle bearings they just use the same chassis/bogie as the non-powered (pick-up only) bogie on the powered car.  If it were possible to adapt the bogie frames to take brass cup bearings it would probably roll much more freely.