Select Update

geejbee

Hello geejbee.

I've had confirmation that hornby staff are working from home, and can't give me a date as to when I should send my select controller to them.

Had I just 'bunged it in the post', as had been suggested here, it would just be sat waiting.

I run DC now, but I have a Select and want to update it just because I like to keep all my gear up to date.

I emailed Hornby over the weekend to see what I need to do.

No reply yet. Doesn't look like it's going to be a quick response or process then. 😢

It's not just a case of "bunging" it in the post ( 😆) - you need to get a reference/job number from Customer Services or from Technical services: +44 (0)1843 233525   - so as Chris says - give them a call. Also the address to send your Select/Elite to is not the same as the one shown at Customer Services - I will not print that address in case it has changed. I had my Elite upgraded earlier this year - super quick service - I posted on a  Tuesday afternoon and had it back Friday morning.

• 2 weeks later...

No, I know that @Bulleidboy 😀

I have all I need, incl the RMA number.

My point to the OP was that I've already been in touch with hornby and unless he/she wants their controller to sit around un-actioned at Hornby, they'd be better waiting/using it.

I certainly won't be following the poor advice I was given  😀

• 1 month later...

I just mailed mine in today after getting an email from the service/repair centre.

They are allocating timed 'blocks' and my 'block' came up.

They also gave me a reference/job ticket number that I needed to qoute with an acommpanying covering note for return address etc.

Well done Hornby.

Their Customer Services were never that quick even when working normally ( 3 days to a week) , now it seems to be a lot longer. As someone said, you need a return number and even if you have one, as I was told by Hornby, you have to wait until they are ready for the return, by sending you a mail, otherwise it will probably get lost in their system. I am still waiting to return a TTS decoder I had a return number for, ages ago, so it appears to be a long list.

Mine's been done now and it certainly seems improved. Its just me that needs an update now so that I will be able fully understand the new technology that is available to me .ie.cv numbers and what to do with them.

CVs are simply characteristics of how the decoder behaves. By adjusting the value of the data stored in the decoder memory we alter how it reacts.

A simple example is acceleration CV3 and deceleration CV4. A small number value in either of these CVs means the loco reacts quicker to the throttle as though it was running light engine. A large number means the loco reacts much more slowly to the throttle - as if it was hauling or stopping a very heavy train.

CV5 controls the top speed and CV6 is the associated mid speed marker, which means these two have to be adjusted in sympathy.

The full range of CVs is set by NMRA and some are mandatory so every decoder will have them, some are optional so some basic decoders will not have them but better decoders will. Some are for the manufacturer to use as they wish, so this is where it gets complex as different manufacturers can use the same CV for different purposes. 

One awkward but essential CV is 29 which controls several things like default direction, DC running support, long or short addressing, etc. The value used is a decimal equivalent of the binary values of the bits that make up the CVs value. Complex and you can work it out by hand but it is much easier to use an on-line calculator which is a simple tick box that returns the decimal num er you enter in the CV.

It may seem formidable but in practice you do not alter them very often and when you do it makes sense to keep a record of what values you have allocated to each decoder.

Now the easy bit, if you mess it all up, then you can use you new Select capability to reset it back to the settings it had when it left the factory - write value 8 to CV8 for most decoders, but there is always a but, see the decoder paperwork for those CVs you can change and the values that you can input to them.

What you need to do is read the addendum to the manual to aquant yourself with the process of invoking Programming mode and then on screen prompts that ask for the CV number and the CV value you want to fiddle with.

Any more questions feel free to come back and ask.