Chassis Extension Fowler 2-6-4 Tank Loco

ColinB

Does anyone know when on the Fowler 2-6-4 tank loco, they changed the depth of the back of chassis extension (the bit that carries the pony truck). I have got two extensions which are quite flat, but I noticed  on the newer one the back is much higher. Unfortunately, the body I bought requires the extension with the taller back and of course Hornby don't have a part number for this part, so I can't even Google it.

Going Spare you could be right. Yes it is the Hornby model, I don't think I have room for the real thing. I had one that came with the scrap chassis that has the low back, I bought another on EBay because I wanted the pony truck and importantly the stepped bolt, but that also has the low back. I could not understand why there was a 5mm gap between back of extension mounting point and the body mounting point, I then acquired a complete loco and noticed. There is no part number for this part so I assume Hornby never sold it as a spare. Looks like I will be making a spacer.

Chassis blocks were (almost) never offered as routine replacement parts because they very seldom wore out, so there has normally been no public availability.  But having said that, a call to Customer Care explaining the circumstances may just get someone rummaging - best to reinforce the difference with the critical measurements as both specs may carry the same Hornby internal-use part number!