Hornby TTS sound decoder in a Bachman class 66

WiniJames

I recently purchased a Class 66 TTS sound decoder after seeing reveiws and YouTube vidoes of people saying that the Hornby decoder works in a Bachman class 66 but after opening the class 66 up and fitting the TTS sound decoder i get an error on the DCC select controller saying L0 but the second I take the train off the error disappeares and other TTS sound locos I have work

What firmware version is your Select?

The current installed firmware is displayed as the very first number to briefly appear on the Select screen as it is being powered up. Expect to see a number between 10 and 20.

There is no reference I can find in any Select user guide manual to LO or L0 being a valid error code. But your observational description indicates that the error code should be EO (Emergency Off). Maybe the two upper horizontal bars in the E are not displaying due to a corruption in the LCD screen.

EDIT: Could you have written L0 in your post instead of OL. OL is the 'Over Load' error code. This error code is the same error code as EO, but used on Select firmware levels below version 1.6 ..... firmware versions 1.6 & 2.0 now use EO instead of OL to indicate a 'short circuit'.

Assuming that the error code is indeed EO (or OL see above edit text) and not L0, then that indicates that your conversion of the 66 to TTS DCC has generated a 'short circuit'. Why ... is difficult to say without a lot more diagnostic testing.

Assuming that the loco is 'DCC Ready' then start by reverting the loco back to DC Analogue (replacing the TTS decoder with the original factory provided bypass blanking plate plug). You will then need access to a multimeter to measure resistance so that you can measure the resistance across the wheels with the pickups on them.

You should get a reading somewhere between 50 Ohms and 120 Ohms. If you get much nearer to zero Ohms then your loco has a fault. If you get the 50 - 120 Ohm range, then put the TTS decoder back in and do the same multimeter test again. You should get a reading of about 30,000 Ohms. If you get a near zero reading, then the TTS decoder is faulty [or your fitting implementation has an issue with it - i.e the way you have done it].

Not got a multimeter ... then buy one ... you can get a cheap meter from ebay for less than £8 delivered.

Decoder fitting in Bachmann.

Most Bachmann models tend to have MTC21 (21 pin decoder connectors) whereas TTS is NEM652 8 pin.

Question, if your Bachmann 66 loco is 21 pin, how have you made the connection between the 21 pin loco and the 8 pin TTS decoder? If you have used some form of adaptor harness then it may be the harness that is creating the short circuit. Particularly if you have implemented a 'home brewed DIY' adaptor solution. Please confirm the socket type implemented on the Bachmann 66 loco and if 21 pin, how you have made the connection to the Hornby TTS decoder.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

I have just checked and the firmware version is 12, i have a multimeter so i will be able to test the pressure on the wheels and this particular class 66 model has an 8 pin socket instead of the 21 pin socket so I didn't need any adapters 

Thank you for complying with my 'How to reply' request.

As you have firmware 1.2 then I assume that you meant to write OL and not L0 in your post.

In order to get the best use of TTS decoders you need as a minimum Select firmware version 1.5.

Your 1.2 version is very old and only supports functions F0 to F8, plus it has support issues with some non Hornby decoders.

Being limited to F8 means that you cannot access any of the TTS spot sounds from F9 and above.

At the time of writing, the latest version is 1.6 [16] or 2.0 [20] - both the same. These latest versions completely transform the user experience of the Select controller and add the ability to write (not read) all CVs. As well as access to the full F0 - F28 range of functions

The upgrade charge is typically £15 plus VAT [£18] plus your sending postage costs. You need to get a 'returns number' from Hornby Customer Services - see 'Contact Us' link at the very bottom of the page.

If you do arrange to get your Select firmware upgraded, then you will need both the Select version 1.5 full manual and the version 1.6 addendum manual. As the operation of your Select (how to use it) will be completely different in certain areas of operation compared to your current firmware version.

You can download these two manual PDFs from here:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/downloads/view/index/cat/12/

If nothing appears to happen, check your nominated browser download folder for the files as they can download silently in the background.

What you need to do is to check that there isn't something wrong with your loco. Have you tried the TTS in another loco. It might be that there is a fault with the loco that has broken the TTS decoder. With nothing inserted into the 8 bin socket you need to check pins 1 and 5 of the 8 pin DCC socket are not connected to the rails. Also, I assume your Bachmann has lights check that pins 7,6 and 2 are open circuit and that when you put the body back on, that you didn't create a short with the lighting connections. Usually if it does what you are saying, it means the decoder has died. The good news is if you have broken it, there is a year long, no quible guarantee on TTS decoders. 

Coincidentally I have had a similar experience recently with a Class 66 TTS ordered from Rails for my pre-ordered Capt. Tom.

On arrival I wanted to test the TTS as I knew it would be some time before the 66 arrived. I stuck it in a Roco DB211 and successfully changed address with a Lokmaus2 and started up the sounds. I then changed to my Multimaus to access more sounds and after around 30s of operation both handsets were showing overload. I moved the TTS to a Mehano Eurosprinter and again nothing. Completely dead. Both locos are NEM 652 and worked fine using a Lenz Standard+V2 before and after.

The TTS went back to Rails and a replacement was quickly sent out. I'm leaving it in the box this time until Capt. Tom arrives. I'm sure the last one was just unlucky and I look forward to getting loco and decoder together by the end of August!

@Sarahagain

Thanks for the concern and advice.

I have read various threads regarding reliability and QC on TTS decoders and I cannot believe they are as temperamental as you might expect from reading on this and other forums. I reckon there must be thousands out there working and that I have just got an unlucky one - but as WiniJames has also had a duffer at the same time from the same supplier it could be a bad batch, but then I would have to guess on what size or order Rails would place - 10, 100, 1000 units at a time - what their rate of sale is and whether my second TTS was delivered with the same order as the first, or indeed manufactured at the same time as the first? I think I'll wait until my 66 arrives, but that may depend on the answer to my next question.

@WiniJames

Can you update us when you receive your replacement TTS and have it installed and working in your 66? 

• 1 month later...

Well GBRf Capt. Tom arrived yesterday and I have just dug out my TTS for it......its great!

I gave the loco 30 mins on DC before sticking in a Lenz standard + V2 and giving it another 30 min. Next in was the TTS and that's all happy. I haven't adjusted any CVs yet as I figured they are already 'matched' to the model though I do feel that slow speed performance was better with the Lenz decoder. I may play around with the CVs at some point. Sound is fine and I have no intention of fitting an aftermarket speaker. This is my first experience with TTS (other than the unfortunate one mentioned previously in this thread) and I am very pleased with the performance and price. A great bit of kit!

I must say it was an easy exercise to fit the TTS decoder, starting with how easy it was to remove the body. All my recent experience has been with Electrotren or Roco models which require a little more effort. With the recently announced upcoming releases of Electrotren 'Hobby' models, I hope that TTS are released for these! (I'm particularly thinking of the 596 DMU) Other than the 66 TTS, none of the current decoders are of any use to me.

Off to play some more now................