Traction Tyres,

81F

I have just ordered some Class 33 traction tyres from Hornby, but as the pack of 10 is more than my current need. however I also need a pair for one of my Lima Western Hydraulics. Hwever, before ordering a set will the 33's tyres fit the Western?

Many thanks

Steve

Unfortunately, the Hornby class 33 tyres are unlikely to fit a Lima class 52.  Although the wheel diameter will be similar, Hornby tyres are almost a square cross-section whereas Lima's are like very thin tap washers before they go on to the wheels.  I don't think the Hornby tyres will sit in the Lima wheel grooves properly, leading to running issues/derailments. 

Many thanks for the help, I'll order a separate set. Sadly I would have measured the wheels but I had a cateract operation immediately before lockdown and have not been able to get the new glasses they said I would need for close work. However the difference in section suggests that there would be a problem anyway.

The two problems I have is that my Western Pioneer could harly pull the train that it's sisters could. Having turned the loc upside down the only difference I could find was that the tyres were missing. Also one of my deltics runs at full revs but hardly moves along the track. In this caser the tyres have streatched so that the wheels just spin inside them.

So I have now ordered both sets.

I have so many issue with traction tyres of my old ringfield based locos and on my Pendelino. They get old and lose traction then you get a horrible squealling noise. The other issue I suspect, is the same one I get with my classic bikes, rubber just doesn't last that long now. On the bikes its shreds after 2 years on the locos it goes hard and stops working. On my Hornby Morning Star it will run for twenty minutes, then the tyres seem to start slipping getting the dreaded squealling noise (no it is not the motor, I checked) and they were new ones.