Dc or no dcc

Schuie52

Hi schuie here and i have a dilemma with two loco's (1) flying scotsman tender drive, (2) the hymek both of these have been serviced  and run on dc perfectly in both directions no problems at all, now i have started to convert them to dcc and this is where the problems start both of these loco,s start and stop at various points of my lay out in both directions, i have cleaned all of the Track but all of my other other loco's which are dcc run fine  on the track i have even put stay alive kits in to see this would fix the problem  but alas no has anybody encountered  this problem before. Any advice would be a great help

regards

michael

I have converted numerous Hornby ringfield powered locos over a long period. The problems I have encountered are normally the decoders fault. Try to avoid the Bachmann and Hornby basic 8 pin 4 function decoders(the Hornby 4 pin and 6 pin are the same decoder just with less wires)

Hornby sapphire seem OK. But for the same money esu, dcc concepts, lenz decoders are available.

The problem with your Flying Scotsman could partly be down to the tender pin connection. Give it a good polish with a fibre pen, then rub it with a graphite B6 stick/pencil to help the electrical conductivity.

The ringfield drive is a good cheap reliable low current consumption unit good for dcc. Unlike the older xo3/xo4 motors which will demand so much power that most decoders will quit or just allow the loco to amble slowly along the track before you even think of adding carriages.

I assume all your this century locos are OK.

I have just converted about 10 of my old tender driven locos. First thing to do is get rid of that connection using the loco to tender pin. I use the Hornby 4 way plug and socket and put the decoder in the loco. I also make the loco pick up on both sets of loco wheels, either your flying scotsman picks up power from the insulated wheels (early 1980s type) or there are locations in the plastic to put "sword type" pickup in. You will be amazed at the difference. Don't use Hornby or Hattons decoders, they cannot cope with the stall current of the ringfield, they should according to the data but they don't (blew two up when the loco stopped at a point). I use Zimo, about £4=00 more expensive than Hornby's cheapest price, but tons better. The Hymek should be better, but again you have the issue that it is not picking up on the avaible wheels, don't bother with the driving wheels as they have traction tyres and really don't give much.