Decoder & RM/E-Link Setup For Class 56 R2750

Hi, Some advice please.  I've acquired one of the DCC-ready Class 56 models (R2750) and fitted an R8249 decoder - now trying to setup in RM.  Not experienced with DCC.  Previously I fitted a Class 37 TTS decoder to a ViTrains 37, told RM it was one of the TTS-fitted Hornby Class 37s and all went very well.  With the 56 I searched for and found R2750 but the setup was very odd.  Initially RM seemed to set the Real loco maximum speed to 1 mph (appears as small blue writing under Cruising Speed on the loco setup panel.  Regardless of this the loco seems to accelerate very slowly initially but then rapidly pick up speed to very high over time.  I've corrected the max speed, played with the speed factor, and increased the acceleration to maximum which has made control manageable (I've built an end-to-end TMD type layout, so mainly want slow speed control).  Cruising/Shunting/Real Loco Max all sensible now - 60-10-80.  However, the whole process seemed odd.  So my questions:

• Should the R8249 decoder be a good match for the Class 56, or is there a better option out there for RM/E-Link?
  • If it should be OK, any advice on the best process to follow to set the loco up properly?

Thanks

Should the R8249 decoder be a good match for the Class 56, or is there a better option out there for RM / eLink?

If the loco has a R8249 fitted, then the R8249 is the correct choice to make. The loco database (i.e searching for R2750) has absolutely no idea what decoder is going to be fitted. So the settings should be based upon the decoder actually fitted.

....... any advice on the best process to follow to set the loco up properly?

I have written a number of tutorial posts. One is based upon adding a Hornby loco that is listed in the RailMaster database, and another is based upon adding a loco that is not in the Hornby database. Both tutorials are based upon adding 'sound' locos, but that is just because that task covers a greater breadth of activities. If your loco is 'non sound' (as per R8249) then just ignore the steps in the tutorials relating to sound.

Adding a loco from the database into RM (my post 3rd one down).

http://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/loco-registration/?p=1

Using RM to change the address of an existing Loco

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/cant-change-loco-cv-address/

Using RM to read and write CVs

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/problem-with-tts-decoder/?p=1

Manually adding a Loco to the RM Database.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/r3459tts-decoder-not-recognized-23469/

Full description of the ‘Locomotive Settings’ screen in detail.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/changing-cruise-and-shunt-speeds/?p=1

There is a 'BUG' in RailMaster version 1.72 that seems to affect loco speed settings when adding new locos to the RailMaster loco roster list. The fix up until now has been to delete the loco and add it again. This might need to be done more than once before the speed issue is corrected.

However that said:

On Friday morning (3rd July) RM version 1.73 was released.

If your version of RM is still at version 1.72 or even below. Then I suggest that you manually upgrade RailMaster to this latest 1.73 version release as the 1.73 contains 'Bug' fixes .... what ones is not documented, but it may include a fix for the speed issue.

The 1.73 update is not an auto-update. It has to be done manually. Download the installer file from the link at the top of the RailMaster forum. Ignore the fact that the link still says it is version 1.72 that text has not been updated yet. The installer that downloads is indeed version 1.73

Do not uninstall your existing version, just make sure that it isn't running.

Right click the downloaded installer and choose 'Run as administrator' and just install it directly over the top of the existing version.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Thanks Chris, a very comprehensive reply.  I'll try to work through it all next weekend.

My question on the R8249 decoder was more to see if others had managed to get the combination with R2750 working well, or whether they could recommend a better decoder option if not.

Maybe I should explain that I fitted the R8249 myself, it didn't come pre-installed.

I just looked up R2750 on the Hattons website and see that there was an R2750X DCC-fitted version.  I'd be interested to know what decoder was actually fitted, and it may be that I best try to replace like-for-like if the strange performance continues after another go at setup with the R8249?

Assuming an 8 pin socket. The R2750X would have had either a R8215 or an R8249 subject to manufacturing date. Now even if it originally had a R8215, then treat that as if it had an R8249. The R8249 replaced the R8215 because the R8215 had lots of faults and issues and was ultimately discontinued in favour of the R8249 replacement.

But that doesn't stop you from looking at a more capable 8 pin NEM652 decoder from another brand. The R8249 is very basic and has very few adjustable CVs.

Glad to hear my advice worked for you .... when it comes to RailMaster issues my advice success rate is relatively high.