Wheel interchange?

Hi all. I'm rather a newby who inherited my grandad's predominantly hornby collection a few years ago. During lockdown I dusted it all down and realised his dream of an outdoor layout. His locos were a bit tired, so I bought myself an A1 flying Scotsman on EBay last week. It arrived and looked absolutely mint. On my layout, there is a slight grade back to the 'engine shed'. Surprisingly it stopped on the grade, motor still going and it was at this point I realised the tender was working on 1 wheel drive. 
A very brief inspection showed that the drive wheels were loose from the axels and flopping about. Now before I got too deep into it, I've had a quick look around for replacement drive wheels - listed in the service sheet as x1001 but no one seems to stock them. The traction tyres seem to have been renumbered and I wondered whether the same was true of the drive wheel assemblies? Or is there an interchagable alternative? 
Thanks in advance!

I have just been fixing old Hornby Flying Scotsman locos. If it is a  tender driven loco then do the following if not ignore it all. Are you sure it was the drve wheels, the ones second axle in on the tender from the loco flop anyway, it is so it can negotiate tight bends. The first and third are driving axles. Generally it is traction tyres that cause the issue. Anyway if go to Peters Spares and search for Ringfield you will see all you need. You want the large ringfield wheels for a 3 pole motor. I would buy the traction tyres off Peter as there are some old neoprene ones on EBay that are useless. The other thing to check is that the fixing clip has not come loose and the tender is only driving on one axle rather than two. Hope it helps.

Peters Spares is progressively introducing their own part numbered items for hard to get bits including traction tyres. You will need to know the diameter, width and thickness to get the best match.

By quoting part no. X1001 for the tyred tender drive wheel, I am assuming you have established your model was made in the UK rather than China, probably by reference to Service Sheert 131/A.  If that is so, the traction tyres you need are in pack X8030.  If it is a China-made model, the tyre pack is X8439 (10 tyres in each pack).

Just to reinforce the advice about traction tyres, I had two identical Hornby Tender drive locos one pulled 15 wagons with ease while the other sounded it was slipping. When I checked all tyres were in place but I found that the tyres on the one that slipped must have streatched since they sould be turned on the wheel using a cocktail stick. So I would advise that you check for this as well as missing tyres.

I have also found old ones go hard and then don't work anymore. The other thing that was a big issue with mine was the small driving pinion on the end of the motor shaft became loose. It appears from my experience, that they are a push on once option. So if you take it off to get the motor armature out, expect to replace it.

Hi Colin, I have had trouble with loose pinions too. Although I have bought a replacement I found it too difficult to get it on the drive shaft so I have reattached the original with a very tiny amount of superglue. Over a year later it still works but I have the spare just in case - just don't glue the bearing as well!

Thanks ever so much for your advice everybody! I would have replied sooner but my 2 posts in 24 hours were used up when the wifi froze and I posted the question twice!

it sounds like the pinion ColinB and 81 F mentioned,  or possibly a bush in the hub as the wheel on the third axel back will come right off with little/no persuasion. I assume the wheels are a tolerance fit and it may have become baggy. 

I will investigate fully at the weekend and report back!