Hornby Railroad Locos

ColinB

I am no expert at this, but is it fair to say that most if not all Railroad type locos do not have pickups in the tender. I bought a Railroad Tornedo and another A1 and that didn't, although I think my Crosti 9F has. Unfortunately it does not seem to be the thing that Hornby list in their catalogue, or have I missed it.

As you say, that is not the kind of detail Hornby use catalogue space to cover.  Service sheet 414 for the Crosti 9F shows a simple drawbar and therefore no tender pick-ups.  It is likely that one of the cost-saving measures for the basic Railroad range is not to incorporate tender pick-ups. 

The Railroad loco drive versions of the 4-4-0 locos have tender pick ups.

Certainly the GWR County, LNER Hunt, and the LMS Compound do.

Railroad County Service Sheet shewing tender pick ups...

/media/tinymce_upload/40f349ff24a9d2c37ffd2966d2c81d0f.jpg

We don't have a Railroad SR Schools, so cannot say for certain, but it is a very high probability, as the Railroad Schools uses the same loco chassis.

All of these locos have a semi permanent wired connection between the loco and tender.

The DCC socket is in the tender, the motor is in the loco....

So, I would think that any Railroad loco with the DCC socket in the tender is LIKELY to also have tender pick ups, as the required wiring is present between the loco motor and the tender...like the TTS fitted Flying Scotsman referenced in the post above.

By the way, the Tornado loco is spelt Tornado, as in the fighter aircraft, and weather system.

Tornedo sounds a bit like a Ford Transit Connect Tourneo.... 😉

The first Railroad version of Flying Scotsman had tender pick-ups, similarly Mallard, the 9F and the black 5.  These were all loco drive but had tender chassis that were all based on the Chinese built tender-drive locos, with the motor removed but pick-ups still in place.  The most recent Railroad TTS models also have tender pick-ups.