Decoder R8249 TTS sound problem

Paramedic67

Hi all, so I've purchased the following loco 

RailRoad, BR, V 'Schools' Class, 4-4-0, 30935 'Sevenoaks' - Era 4

I think I've determined the dcc decoder as R8249, but I also want a TTS SOUND decoder which is where I'm struggling. I'm thinking it maybe R8107. Can anyone advise please. Also is there an instruction how to install. Many thanks. 

Just to also be aware that you do need a R8249 in addition to any 'sound decoder' that might be fitted. Sound decoders include all the necessary motor control and functions that the normal R8249 decoder provides. So it is 'one or the other' but not both.

TIP: As a relatively new poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Service sheet 395 shows the railroad schools loco has the decoder socket in the tender. There is no dedicated speaker mount so it is likely a sugar cube speaker would have to be substituted for the TTS standard speaker, if you go down the TTS route.

If going down another sound decoder route then measure up the available space before purchasing a speaker, which generally do not come as standard with these other makes.

TTS retro kits come with very generic instructions for installation and it is assumed some modelling skills may be required to get the kit to fit any particular model, especially one that is not sound-ready.

Believe or not a round speaker does fit it has a dedicated fitting to take a round speaker. I did have to shorten one of the weights, but that was to make it easier. I must admit if it was now I would use a small iphone speaker they are so thin and sound great. I just put one in a Bachmann Ivatt 2MT tender, I was fixing for someone and it fits really well. The person that fitted the sound previously had fitted a rectangular speaker in the coal bunker because it wouldn't fit in the tender, but an iphone does, which means you can put real coal in the coal bunker.