Reverse running problem

ScottK

Hi,

I've got a Hornby Dublo 2-6-4 4MT Tank Locomotive, analogue DC. It runs fine going forward, in a clockwise direction but when l try to run it in reverse, it shorts out. 

Can anyone offer advice as to why this happens. Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Scott

OK, well that rules out a coupling drop arm contacting the centre rail.  When you say running in reverse, the loco is running anti-clockwise?  Or have you taken it off the track, turned it round, and then run it clockwise in reverse?  Does it short out immediately or only at particular places?

OK, well that rules out a coupling drop arm contacting the centre rail.  When you say running in reverse, the loco is running anti-clockwise?  Or have you taken it off the track, turned it round, and then run it clockwise in reverse?  Does it short out immediately or only at particular places?

HI, I mean anti clockwise when l day in reverse. When I turn the loco and it in the opposite direction it runs fine because it is going forward and not backwards

If the bogie or pony truck wheels had been metal, they might have been touching the chassis, causing a short circuit but you have ruled out that possibility. 

Have you checked the condition of the motor brushes?  If they have worn down unevenly, they may be catching in the slots between the commutator segments when the motor is rotating in one direction whilst being ok in the other.

Hi Going Spare, 

I think you could be right about the brushes. I ran the chassis without the cab. The motor spun round slowly at first and then got going only to stop after a short distance. Running forward, it is now starting to stop suddenly. It won't run forward at slow speeds. You've got to be close to full running speed in order to maintain the momentum. Possibly the motor as well as the brushes need replaced. It's a shame, because when l bought it, it was running fine in both directions but that's the chance you take when buying second hand. 

Facing clockwise or anti clockwise it runs okay as it is going forward. In reverse whether clockwise or anti clockwise it shorts out. 

I am still in favour of wheel wipers being displace in reverse.