Sliding door MK3 carriages

CitizenOllie

The old slam doors didn’t open so why should the sliding doors open. Braked vans and coaches don’t have operating brakes although it says so in the title. As stated it is a descriptor of the type not a list of working attributes.

It is noted Ollie that your posts tend to be toward the product negative. Look on the bright side.

Mine are the wrong gauge, the seats are plastic, the window panes are too thick, there's no working suspension and the disc brakes are fake!!! What a disappointment Hornby!!!

Some people really do go to any length to find something to complain about.

Well put JB. Bye the way this is Stu from FB. Hope you are ok.

There is one of the Hornby books, the one with the loco in the orange mist on the cover that has a description of a coach that they tried to make do just this. In the end it was too complicated so they abandoned the idea. I think the problem was around the doors opening if the train went through the station rather than just when it stopped. I can't get to my books at the moment as I'm decorating or I'd put the page number up. 

My big big train coaches I had a child had sliding doors controlled by a button on the roof. 

One option with DCC would be a solenoid or resistance wire to open the doors but as I am firmly DC I wouldn't know where to start and to be honest I wouldn't want my coaches to do that anyway. 

Mine are the wrong gauge, the seats are plastic, the window panes are too thick, there's no working suspension and the disc brakes are fake!!! What a disappointment Hornby!!!

Some people really do go to any length to find something to complain about.

Well put JB. Bye the way this is Stu from FB. Hope you are ok.

Oh good to see you here! Been a long time. All fine and trying to keep sane whilst locked in a house for 4 months and counting.

Let's be honest it is difficult with modern locos keeping the stuff on them that there is supposed to be. You pick up the loco and have to be careful nothing drops off. So if the carriages had sliding doors they would probably be the first things to fall off. One of my Schools locos derailed in a tunnel and the chimney just fell off ( I gather it is a common issue) so what chance sliding doors would stay intact. I bought a restaurant car off EBay and I was amazed that 3 of the 4 buffers were no longer there. The model was not that old, it is still in the Hornby catalogue. Needless to say the ptoto didn't show that. Fortunately I had some Bachmann oval sprung buffers so I managed to fix it. Probably better than the original, that didn't have sprung buffers. The thing that really annoys me is the things that regularly break on Hornby locos, they don't do as spares or are out of stock, never to be replaced. Most automotive manufacturers find that is an easy way to make money.

Yes, Tri-ang did try to produce a carriage with opening doors, and yes, the main problem was that the doors would open when the train passed without stopping.

These were hinged opening doors, not sliding...

I think that the mechanism was based on the Operating Mail Coach system, using track ramps and strikers on the coach.

Tri-ang tried hard to avoid electrically operated gizmos...

It's mentioned in Pat Hammond's Story of Rovex trilogy of books as well.

It may also appear in The First 100 years centenary book....also by Pat Hammond...