HM2000 humming motors?

Guest Chrissaf

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

There are various models of HM2000 with different internals, the newer design being more integrated circuit based than the original, which is essentially old tech based.

Early model has a large ‘kettle’ lead supllying the power and no mains switch.

An interim model has the same lead with a mains switch above it.

The newer model has a smaller figure 8 mains cable and a mains switch.

The HM2000 type may affect how it handles the various motor types such as coreless. More expert folk will be able to explain why.

Could it be that the latest version of HM2000 has gone to pulse width (PWM) modulation output. It is much cheaper to make a PWM controller with modern components and I think that they consume less power, so perhaps they changed the design.

Just to follow up on Rog's post. The highlighted terminals should be the only terminals that are connected to track.

/media/tinymce_upload/6b0c09aee93c574f9fa2e96cdbeeb46d.JPG

If the model of the H&M 2000 you are talking about has PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) I suggest you read this thread, which is to do with what PWM is, and what effects it can have on locomotives. Near the bottom of page 16, to page 17.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/post/view/topic_id/10670/?p=16

Thanks to Chris who has made the link clickable below.

I imagine the sounds from locomotives on a PWM controller would be pretty similar, be it a DMU like you mentioned, or a Steam loco - they all have pretty similar motors anyway - there shouldn't be that much difference in noise.

14xx Tank